Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Controlling lights, fans and pumps in hydroponics

I have started to learn about hydroponics and am looking for ways to automate the processes without spending an arm and a leg. I would like to use a Raspberry Pi to control everything. Lights, fans and pumps need to be controlled. The on/off points change with the growing phase of the plants, so fixed timers will not work. There are no high wattage things to control. Most pumps are 2-4 watts - a few will be 10 watts. Lighting is LED. Fans are 12 volt. Yes, there are off-the shelf products to do this - I am hoping to find something cheaper and something that I can repair my self if something goes wrong. I prefer cables and wire to wifi. I am a beginner in the electronics field, though I have an understanding of electrical things. It doesn't have to be pretty - just reliable and, hopefully, inexpensive. Note: I have seen USB powered water pumps (with the exception of a couple of main pumps), filters and fans. Would that simplify things?

Last edited:
Thank you! that is what my limited knowledge has told me so far in the research I have done. I was hoping that I had overlooked some miraculous secret :( I have found small pumps, light arrays and fans that are powered by USB. Is there any app I can install on a Raspberry Pi that will let me shut them on and off?

Possibly.
Not up on Rasberry Pi but I do know they are used in new versions of the space invader cabinets as a pc so a search in Rasberry Pi forums might reveal something.
I still use a plc that was written for the old Windows 95 on an automated crankshaft grinder I built here so maybe there are plc apps available for the Pi.
Bit of an overkill though as I,m sure an Arduino promini or two would suffice.