Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Controlling current on a welding transformer.

Hi,
I have a welding transformer (single phase, 230Vac) known also as "buzz box". it's output current is up to 150A and I would like to "upgrade" it. I would like to add a rectifying bridge to get dc output of it and to add a circuit that will enable to control the output current. I've seen on Aliexpress 200A diodes and scr's at reasonable price. looking forward for your advises.

Output current is commonly controlled by moving the core in or out as required.
Not your unit...????
Best show what you have before any comment on changing to DC.

Right, sorry. this is a transformer with taps, not the type with the moving core. I would like to convert it so that the current will be able to set by a potentiometer.

As you say, 150A, difficult and more importantly, expensive to control transformer output current at this level.

Without any experience with such things as it appears you are, otherwise you wouldn't be here asking, the design and outcome would be rather iffy to say the least.

Best option would be to go out and buy an inverter style system.

I thought that the purpose of the forum is to offer ideas/help/knowledge. as you've stated - if I would've known myself the solution - I didn't needed to seek for advice in the forum. seems a bit of a "catch 22" to me.

Yes, we can help those to help themselves.
It is clear you have very little experience in electrical or electronics so there's no point really.
We do not do free design or re-design work on a whim.
There is really no point to your project and it is clear it would be uneconomical.