Maker Pro
Maker Pro

connecting the IDEC RTE-P11-AC120V

I have an IDEC timer as well as the paper work for it...I just can't figure out how to connect things to make happen what I want to happen. When I leave my barn/shop after dark I want the outdoor flood to come on for the time I set the timer for. This gives me light so I can walk to the house. I want to use a simple momentary push button switch to activate it if at all possible. I know that power goes to terminals #2 & #7....and which contacts are open or closed...but...Any suggestions here? Thanks..

Can you possibly scan the page with the connection diagram? (I cannot locate the documentation for that timer anywhere, only the replacement)

It sounds like you want the One Shot (start signal) configuration, or the Delay Off function, either should work, though there may be a better option

There's a data sheet for RTE Series IDEC timers at online components.com.
I just haven't had time yet to look at it.

So you want yours in interval mode.

You would connect the light through pins 1 and 3, or 8 and 6, these will switch to the on position when power is applied to the timer (turning the light on) and then after the time interval they will shut off, you will need either a switch or a toggle button, not a momentary button.

Switch would be connected to pins 2 and 7 which when power is applied will start the timer.

Thank you Green Giant.....I've played around with this enough to figure out that once I apply power to pins 2 & 7 the timer will start. And that the contacts thru 1 & 3 will open when the timer expires. However, once that happens the power remains connected to the timer until I turn the switch back off. I may not go back to the shop for a day or two. It could be I need a different timer to use with a momentary push button to simply start the timer with. Hopefully this makes sense here.They make a 11 pin delay on break single shot .

You could get a different timer to use a momentary push button, and use the One Shot setup, but the amount of electricity that the active coil uses is (as stated in the manual) 1.6-2.2VA (1.6-2.2Watts).

Assuming you can find a deal on one somewhere you can look to spend maybe 40 bucks (with quick searches I have found $55 to be about average)
Assuming electricity cost of 20 cents per kilowatt/hour. (a little on the high side for my area)

it would need to be on for a total of.... about 10 years continuously before you'd spend the $40 in electricity.

$40 / $0.20 = 200 kWh
200 kWh / 0.0022 kW = 90,900 hours
90,900 h / 24 h = 3790 days
3790 days / 365 days = 10.4 years.

That is how I would look at it, realistically it'll probably only be powered for a fraction of that time so it would most likely take you 15 to 20 years before you'd spend more than the 40, plus you save the $40 right now.

I heard back from customer service at IDE, and I need a different timer to accomplish what I want to do. Since the one i ahve was a freebie,and new ones are $$$ I will wait my time until come across something different. I have some old Eagle units laying around I may play around with to accomplish too. Thanks once more for your input here.

You can do that, or like I mentioned above and take that route, as mentioned, monthly electricity cost even full on would be around $0.30-$0.40.