Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Connecting lithium coin battery to circuit board for power?

Hi there,

I'm taking apart a radio and want to add a battery (rather than it being on a plug). It's very small and doesn't use much power.

It would use a small lithium coin battery like this: http://media.wholesale-electrical-e...10100915/63d6a47787cc5eb1dffd06b5944910dc.jpg

How can I choose a battery with appropriate volts?

Also, how can I create a circuit so that the battery directly links to powering the radio, is there any easy fix to this?

This is my first attempt at anything like this, so excuse my newbie post.

Thanks guys.

It's very small and doesn't use much power.

So you say... Have you actually measured the current requirements? What is the current and voltage requirements?

I highly suspect you will have EXTREMELY limited run time with coin cells (minutes maybe) unless it's a simple ear bud specifically designed low power radio...

How can I choose a battery with appropriate volts?
Voltage is generally stamped right on the surface of the coin or button cells, once you know the radios voltage and current requirements you can choose a suitable battery...

Also, how can I create a circuit so that the battery directly links to powering the radio, is there any easy fix to this?
There is no need to create a circuit unless you have to adjust voltage, you just hook the battery up to the supply points, plug or wires...

So you say... Have you actually measured the current requirements? What is the current and voltage requirements?

I highly suspect you will have EXTREMELY limited run time with coin cells (minutes maybe) unless it's a simple ear bud specifically designed low power radio...

Voltage is generally stamped right on the surface of the coin or button cells, once you know the radios voltage and current requirements you can choose a suitable battery...

There is no need to create a circuit unless you have to adjust voltage, you just hook the battery up to the supply points, plug or wires...

Thanks!

What kind of battery do you suggest? I looked into a lithium ion battery for it's rechargable capabilities. Not sure if I can get one small enough though.

What kind of battery do you suggest?

Tell me the voltage and current requirements of you device and I can give suggestions, this should be measured at full volume locked into a station to get a 'max' current requirement reading...

I looked into a lithium ion battery for it's rechargable capabilities.
The lithium chemistry in most coin cells (like the one you pictured) is NOT rechargeable... There are rechargeable lithium coin cells but they cost substantially more money and are really a specialty item not something you find in stores at least in the coin and button sizes... Also like all lithium chemistry recharging they require specialized smart recharging circuits to avoid flames and explosions...

Tell me the voltage and current requirements of you device and I can give suggestions...

The lithium chemistry in most coin cells (like the one you pictured) is NOT rechargeable... There are rechargeable lithium coin cells but they cost substantially more money and are really a specialty item not something you find in stores... Also like all lithium chemistry recharging they require specialized smart recharging circuits to avoid flames and explosions...

3 volts.

Sorry I meant a lithium ion/lithium polymer standard rectangular/square battery, not coin battery (in the second instance).

Thank you for your help!

So what is the current requirements? Do you understand what this is and why it's vitally important?

Now you appear to have the battery already chosen? There is no such thing as a " standard rectangular/square battery" do you mean a PP3 sized 9V battery? It might or might not work, but it's likely not the best choice if you need a 3V supply... Two AA or AAA batteries would be much better under a nominal 3V requirement...

You seem to be jumping all over the place with your request, time to possibly explain it better, and nail down some details...