Maker Pro
Maker Pro

connecting LEDs in series

hello every body , Greetings from Egypt , i am going to do a LEDs signs for cars using a SMD leds as showing , and i was asking Why i can not connect LEDs in series with out resistor , the supply is 12V and the number of LEDs in series is 6 , so every LED will take 2V - in the safe zone - , why i must put a resistor

Attachments

• 153_0.jpg
    153_0.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 87
hello every body , Greetings from Egypt , i am going to do a LEDs signs for cars using a SMD leds as showing , and i was asking Why i can not connect LEDs in series with out resistor , the supply is 12V and the number of LEDs in series is 6 , so every LED will take 2V - in the safe zone - , why i must put a resistor

For your simplistic understanding:
LED's don't behave like resistors - they don't follow i=v/r.

Once they light up, the variation of current is very large for a small variation of voltage making it practically impossible to control the current and limit it to avoid a burnout.

So you use a suitable resistor to limit the current or use a current source instead of a voltage source.

First You just check out your LED colour.each colour has different forward voltage(Vf).and you decide your forward current (If)...it depends upon your brightness level.
for example R (curent limiting resistor) = (Vs - (Total Vf of all 6 series LED)/If