Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Connect Android tablet to Arduino

Hey guys,
I am working on a project where I need to connect my Android tablet (
Linx Commtiva N700) to my Arduino Leonardo. Can I use any miniUSB (to the tablet) to a female USB (to the android) adapter? What are the things that I should consider for this communication?

Thankks a lot.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
unless your android device can act as a USB master device, this is not going to be possible.

unless your android device can act as a USB master device, this is not going to be possible.

Thanks for your reply. I don't want my tablet to send anything to the Arduino just receive data from it so why it should be a USB master? should it be a slave here?

And how can I make sure that my device can act as a USB master?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
(Sorry, it's known as "host" mode) Does it allow you, for example, to connect a hard drive to the USB port?

Some android devices support USB-OTG and if yours does, you *may* be able to connect what is essentially an external serial port to your device. See here.

More specific information is available here.

(Sorry, it's known as "host" mode) Does it allow you, for example, to connect a hard drive to the USB port?

Some android devices support USB-OTG and if yours does, you *may* be able to connect what is essentially an external serial port to your device. See here.

More specific information is available here.

No, it doesn't. There is only miniUSB female connector so can I connect USB-OTG to it. myy android version is 2.2. Please tell me that I can connect the two devices.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I have no idea. The links I gave you give methods to discover I your device supports this mode. I know no more.

Hi Nada I think this might be of use to you,

http://arduinocommander.blogspot.co.uk/
Programming on the go... but I don't think this is what the OP is after.

To quickly recap.
Android 2.2 is a little aged and is loosing support for many apps on the Play store. I'm assuming the device was purchased with 2.2, in which case at that time USB host features for android were incredibly slim. It may help if we get the model number for the device.
If you can't use USB for your device you could use the microphone jack and send data into your device, or you could muck around with Bluetooth.