Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Connect a 2 coil stator to 3 phase ESC possible?

supak111

★ƃuᴉɯǝɥɔs sʎɐʍlɐ★
Hey guys I have a 2 coil stator/brushless motor with 2 poles (1 magnet 2 sides). Is there any way to connect it to a 3 wire 3 phase electronic speed controller?

I was thinking maybe like this image. Added a diode so phase #2 doesn't spin the motor backwards. Just not sure if the ESC will still work with phase #2 pretty much disabled. And the other problem I see is that now phase #1 will only go across 1 coil, phase #2 disabled, and phase #3 will go across both coils so the torque might be weird...?

354d2a8b51.png

supak111

★ƃuᴉɯǝɥɔs sʎɐʍlɐ★
Its actually a Dyson digital vacuum cleaner motor, its just a propeller shaft with a neodymium magnet on the end. Dyson says its rated for 200w I think, and they run it off 24v lithium battery. Dyson says it can spin to a 106k rpm. It looks like this now after I stripped everything off of it.

20160302_173127-768x432.jpg

supak111

★ƃuᴉɯǝɥɔs sʎɐʍlɐ★
This motor use to run off single phase AC. Now I have a 3 phase ESC controller that I would like to use.

If the motor is two phase, then the windings are at 90 deg.
A three phase controller will need windings at 60 deg.
The drive is AC and diodes will mess this up.

I do not see your picture.

Still cannot see the picture, my computer says there is a security problem. Why not just attach the picture?

supak111

★ƃuᴉɯǝɥɔs sʎɐʍlɐ★
I can see both of them just fine. Here

Attachments

• 20160302_173127-768x432.jpg
    20160302_173127-768x432.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 84
That's better. I cannot work out how the motor works, it seems to have a non contacting magnetic 'commutator' to energise the rotor. There must be another magnet somewhere either electro or permanent to react with this field.

A simple radial fan will work in either direction but it is much more likely that a sophisticated fan is used for efficiency.so there must be a method of setting the direction.

Looks to me like some form of high frequency induction motor designed to be run from a specific controller.

Wondering why you don't use the original controller.

Re-inventing the wheel to me seems rather pointless.o_O

supak111

★ƃuᴉɯǝɥɔs sʎɐʍlɐ★
Because I burned it out and I also wanted to run the motor of a 12v battery not the original 24v lithium setup they had. Could not figure out how to run it of another 24v battery, and in the process of trying figure it out I burned out the original single phase ac controller