Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Compressor motor

I have a 3 hp 110/230 volt electric motor I just bought to power a v twin air compressor pump. I do not have a 220 volt power source available, so I run it at 110 volts and should supposedly only draw 15 amps. Unfortunately it must draw more because it will constantly trip my 20 Amp breaker... any ideas on how I can balance the power draw or how to transfer power from motor to pump more efficiently that typical pulley and belt setup?

Motors will draw approx 4 to 6 times full load current at startup.
Compressors even more if starting under load i.e. no decompressor for startup.

Is the motor single or three phase...??

Single phase I would expect somewhere around 32A for normal run current on 110vAC

Belt drive has worked well pretty much ever since compressors were invented.

Yes single phase 110 volt, name plate states it draws 18 amps @110 and 9 amps at208/230 volts.. I bought this compressor pump before I realized a 5 hp electric motor that runs off of 110 volts is either stupid expensive or like a unicorn...so I ended up with this 3 hp motor but it continously trips breaker.. I don't know if a vfd would help at all or if I need to just sell this v twin pump and cut my losses but then I'm back where I started..owning hundreds or thousands of dollars in acquired air tools and no where close to the cfm I need to run them without maxing out cycle time on smaller compressors

No, you don't need all that bull........

Does the compressor have a decompression valve for startup...??

If not, you're flogging a dead horse I'm afraid.