Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Component identification help

Hi, This is my first post I have limited experience in repairing electronic items, but I do enjoy trying to repair them. I am trying to repair a eberspacher heating control and I can not identify a component. I think it may be a capacitor, the markings on the component are 100nt 12v. I am hoping that somebody will be able to help me, I have included an image of the component and the circuit board. The board is not complete as I have taken the transistors off for testing. Cheers Steven

Attachments

• 1478026815010-1344619447.jpg
    1478026815010-1344619447.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 1478026984179-1730199055.jpg
    1478026984179-1730199055.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 1478027455286719537794.jpg
    1478027455286719537794.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 112
Hi Steven, welcome to E.P. It might actually be a surge suppressor and not a capacitor. Is it short circuit? Edit: Or an NTC
Adam

davenn

hi Steven

yes, looks like a 100n (0.1uF) capacitor
use one the save cap value, doesn't matter if the voltage rating is higher

so is there a reason why you think it's faulty and needs replacing? do you have a capacitance meter?

Hi Steven, welcome to E.P. It might actually be a surge suppressor and not a capacitor. Is it short circuit? Edit: Or an NTC
Adam[/QUOTE
hi Steven

so is there a reason why you think it's faulty and needs replacing? do you have a capacitance meter?

Hi, thank you for the quick response, I have measured it with a capacitance meter and the reading is 185nf, could you help me with the type of capacitor it is? Thank you

Adam
Hi, thank you for the quick response, I have checked it for short circuit and it seems fine, I have done capacitance test on it and have a reading of 185 nf. Cheers Steven

Last edited by a moderator:
hi Steven

Hi, thank you for the quick response, I have measured it with a capacitance meter and the reading is 185nf, could you help me with the type of capacitor it is? Thank you

davenn

Hi, yes on a auto range it will gradually climb until it goes out of range. Hope this helps.

yup just proves its a capacitor rather than a resistive device

a bit high for a 100n but if it's just being used for power rail bypassing, that doesn't really matter

it's a ceramic style

Yes I thought it seemed a bit high myself. I have never seen a capacitor with the value marked in Nano Farads and that bulge on the back side is indicative of MOVs, NTCs and PTC. That's the reason I discounted it from being a capacitor.
Adam

Yes I thought it seemed a bit high myself. I have never seen a capacitor with the value marked in Nano Farads and that bulge on the back side is indicative of MOVs, NTCs and PTC. That's the reason I discounted it from being a capacitor.
Adam

Hi, cheers for the feedback, I have found a manufacturer date of 1974 on the board, just for interest.

davenn

Hi, cheers for the feedback, I have found a manufacturer date of 1974 on the board, just for interest.

no harm replacing that cap, 100nF (0.1uF) are very common
you may have a newer scrap PCB or 2 lying around that you can recover a cap from :)