Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Common anode or common cathode display?

Hello,

I am on Module 3 of my electronics 11 course, and I am on section 12: Running a 7-segment Display, lesson 39: Introducing the 7-segment Display, pages 147 and 148 in my “Electronic Circuits for the Evil Genius” guidebook . I am trying to map out the pins, but I can't tell what 7-segment LED I have. Is it a CA or a CC? I'll send pictures.IMG_2381.JPG IMG_2382.JPG

It would help if the markings on the display were readable! Find the part number on the side of the package, and look it up using Google or on http://www.digikey.com.
Or, if for whatever reason, you dont have the internet :rolleyes:
You could poke and prod with the diode setting on a multi-meter.

You should be familiar enough to determine common cathode/anode based on these results.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
... You could poke and prod with the diode setting on a multi-meter.
I would poke and prod with a 1.5 V D-size dry-cell connected in series with a 100 Ω 1/4 W resistor. Some segment will light up and the reverse voltage applied by the dry-cell should not be enough to damage reverse-biased segments. You should then be able to determine if this is a common-anode or a common-cathode display. Better yet, find the datasheet and compare to that.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
@IC71 : Nice photo! Unfortunately, a Digi Key as well as a Google search returned... nothing. Try my " D-size dry-cell and 100 Ω current limiter" suggestion to find the pins for each of the segments and the decimal point. Should take you all of a two minutes to find the segment LEDs, once you have one end of the resistor soldered to one end of the dry cell and a "test probe wire" soldered to the other end of the dry cell. Use the free end of the resistor as a "probe" while you hold the dry-cell in your hand. Let us know what you find out.

Thank you all for the help, the middle pin on both sides are ground, but does that mean it's a CA or is i a CC? I think it might mean it's CC, but please tell me if it is the other way around.

again, Thank you all for the help

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
If the common pin must be negative to make the segments light up, the device is common cathode. Conversely, if it must be positive, the device is common anode.