Maker Pro
Maker Pro

comm vs. spectrum analyzer

Hey all, I was just wondering what the difference between the two are (if there is one). I have worked with the comm analyzer a little bit in school. I think the comm analyzer can do everything a spectrum analyzer can right?

davenn

since you havent listed any specific models I will have to guess at what you are thinking about.
as an example ...
I have both a communications analyser and a spectrum analyser.
the comms analyser is the trusty IFR1200 google it for pics and in depth info
basically its a AM and FM signal generator from ~ 10Hz to 1000MHz and - 130dBm to + 10dBm, it has a built in RF power meter up to 150W, has a freq counter to 1GHz (1000MHZ)
It also has CTCSS tone and audio functions amongst other helpful features and finally, yes, it has a spectrum analyser as well... BUT the Spec An section is relatively basic in its functions

my Spec An is a Tektronix 2715 which goes from ~ 10kHz to 2GHz and like most spec ans it doesnt have all the other features of a comms analyser, tone generator, signal generator, hi power power meter etc etc.
BUT my Tek Spec An blows the IFR spec an out of the water with its accuracy of power readings and other frequency measurements of sidebands, spurii etc etc

Most comms analysers are basically a "toolbox in a single package" .... if you are into say "land mobile" installations and servicing etc then one of these is essential

But if you want to do really good spectrum analysis then a dedicated spec an is also a requirement

on one of my www site pages is a pic of the spec an right at the bottom of the page....
http://www.sydneystormcity.com/test_gear.htm

note other pics need updated just havent had time

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
You answered exactly what I was asking, basically I was just curious of what actually set these two apart. Very useful information. I (may) have an interview in a little while and was encouraged to add this to my resume. (We will be working with both of them in a couple weeks but I wanted to work on my resume now)

-Thanks a ton for your help