Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Cold light source

Hi to all, I registered because I hoped I might find an answer here. At least a cheaper way of doing it!

I am studying insects and to do that I need a cold light source.

I would like a 12v system so that I can take it in my vehicle and work there under a microscope.

Can I make one. Is there somewhere to buy one cheaply?

Help please and thanks for looking at least.. :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
When you say "cold light source" do you mean a source which does not emit heat, or one with a high colour temperature (which is -- perversely -- called cool, or cold)?

Hi Steve,
Yes, I mean a light that does not emit heat - Thanks

Have to go out again so check back this evening.

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

How about an LED flashlight?
If you absolutely need to power it from your 12 V car battery, add a series resistor or voltage regulator between battery and flashligt. However, an LED consumes much less power than a conventional lightbulb (no heat!), so the flaslight's battery will last rather long. Use rechargeable batteries and have a spare set ready. Recharge during the day. I think this is much more flexible than being tethered to the car.

Harald

Last edited:
How about an LED flashlight?
If you absolutely need to power it from your 12 V car battery, add a series resistor or voltage regulator between battery and flashligt. However, an LED consumes much less power than a conventional lightbulb (no heat!), so the flaslight's battery will last rather long. Use rechargeable batteries and have a spare set ready. Recharge during the day. I think this is much more flexible than being tethered to the car.

Harald

OK, thanks for that, I will dig out our flashlight and see if the heat, if any, is acceptable for live insect examination.

How often do you do this? "Chemlights" may work. They come in a variety of colors including ultraviolet.