Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Clueless Noob - A/C to DC switch

hi everyone!

A thousand pardons for what I am sure is a silly question but I must ask!

I want to buy / make a switch or box that can receive a 16volt 500ma A/C supply and convert it to 15volt 1amp D/C.

Is it possible?

davenn

Hi there
Welcome to EP

hi everyone!

A thousand pardons for what I am sure is a silly question but I must ask!

I want to buy / make a switch or box that can receive a 16volt 500ma A/C supply and convert it to 15volt 1amp D/C.

Is it possible?

in a word, NO
in a few more words quoting Scotty from Star Trek

"Ye canne break the laws of physics"

that is ... you cannot get more power out than what you put in
The best you could do, assuming 100% efficiency is 500mA
The realistic estimate, accounting for losses in the circuit, is 300 - 400 mA

Dave

Thanks for the concise reply.

Essentially, I have a record player that runs on a 15v 1 amp DC power supply and I bought a unit that regulates the speed of a record player for switching between 33 and 45 rpm, but it turns out the speed regulator runs on a 16v 500ma AC supply in and out.

The only other thing I can think of is switching the record players DC motor for the AC equivalent but the record player also has a DPS / transformer which I assume would need to be changed also?

Thanks again.

davenn

Essentially, I have a record player that runs on a 15v 1 amp DC power supply and I bought a unit that regulates the speed of a record player for switching between 33 and 45 rpm, but it turns out the speed regulator runs on a 16v 500ma AC supply in and out.

is the deck and speed regulator two separate items ?
if so can you not just run them each off their separate required supplies ?

Dave

Hi, yes but the speed regulator replaces the standard turntable power supply. i.e. The speed regulator has a 16v 500ma A/C in power supply and then runs a cable to the turntable at 16v A/C 190ma (max) I wanted to place something between the speed regulator and turntable that would take the 16v A/C 190ma out from from the regulator and convert it to 15v 1amp D/C in for the turntable.

davenn

Hi, yes but the speed regulator replaces the standard turntable power supply. i.e. The speed regulator has a 16v 500ma A/C in power supply and then runs a cable to the turntable at 16v A/C 190ma (max)

ok

I wanted to place something between the speed regulator and turntable that would take the 16v A/C 190ma out from from the regulator and convert it to 15v 1amp D/C in for the turntable
as I stated in my first post, that isn't going to happen ... you cannot create power out of nothing

you therefore need a 16VAC supply that has a higher current rating. say around 1.5A so that there is enough current to supply both sections

Dave

no, you cant do it. You will need two separate power supplies. Trying to convert from ac to dc always incur losses, and you end up with less power coming out than going in, and power is P=V*I ie voltage times current. and there is ALWAYS less P coming out than going in.

cheers

davenn

no, you cant do it. You will need two separate power supplies. Trying to convert from ac to dc always incur losses, and you end up with less power coming out than going in, and power is P=V*I ie voltage times current. and there is ALWAYS less P coming out than going in.

cheers

or a single higher current supply as I stated ;)
makes life easier

Replacing the power supply is not going to give you speed control. You need a special circuit and sensors for feedback to do that.

Can you give us a link to the so called "speed controller?"

Bob

What speed does the turntable run at as it is now? My guess is the turntable already has a built-in speed regulator. It might be possible to tap into that to give a choice of speeds.