Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Clarification of terms S:N

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember reading somewhere that the main point of a circuit is having a good signal to noise ratio. hence S:N
So when I am hooking up my guitar pots, I am thinking "too much noise" and trying to clean the fender out of the gibson. Anyway, As I remember the term S:N is counter productive in the fact that a good S:N is important eg. a high signal, S:N would be delivering a ratio that is stronger in signal than it is in noise; and a low signal, S:N would be delivering more noise than signal.

In fact, there is really no identification of good S:N because some applications require more noise.

So you build "whatever" with the proper S:N for the device to work right.

In transducer data transfer, this is extremely important(guitar pickups are transducers) because the wrong S:N kills the signal.

I need to clarify this somehow, Where most commercial guitar electronics include a grounding that taps into all the fine controls bodys, the bridge, and then finally to the output jack, the noise I get is really crackly and sometimes buzzing so loud that I can't here the transducers over the hum. I chose to bias the input and output, with the controls, as junctions. That way, I don't have a noisy pot case in the signal... result is a better S:N. but it is still quite noisy on some settings, others are crystal clear.
I don't think there is a filter that can clean it up. I think I just have to find a way to not include the parts that are noisy(cheapo guitar electronics...not my bag, gotta find a fix)

Most issues revolve around grounding i.e. earth loops. Use a single, central earthing point for all ground connections in the instrument (usually the back of the main volume potentiometer), use a QUALITY plug/socket connection at the output and QUALITY leads to the amplifier.

If you get noise when turning any control then you're using dirty and/or cheap rotary controls. Again 'quality counts'.

This should eliminate any noise from the guitar/instrument all the way up to the input of the amplifier. The amplifier, of course, can introduce its own problems as far as grounding/earth loops are concerned.

A pot that makes crackly sounds when you turn it has DC on it (caused by a leaky coupling capacitor) or it is dirty. Hum or buzzing is not "noise", it is interference caused by improper wiring. Noise is "hiss" caused by electronic parts with poor spec's.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I have liked the above three replies because I am simply impressed that you guys found something in @tedstruk's word salad post which could be answered.

On another point, I would consider hum to be noise, simply on the basis that it's not signal.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Since all the badges have been eliminated, except for Administrator and Moderator, perhaps @Ian can add a new badge for posters like @tedstruk and @CTP4500 and ...others. Never heard of the term "word salad" until @(*steve*) used it here, but it is funny and apropos. OTOH, many of my posts can perhaps be likened to a buffet dinner with unlimited "seconds"... but let's not go there. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.