Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Circuit help: momentary bi-directional DC motor control

supak111

★ƃuᴉɯǝɥɔs sʎɐʍlɐ★
Hey everyone, been trying to make a simple circuit to control a DC motor bi-directionally in a specific way.

I have a 12VDC motor that I need to run in one direction for 2 seconds (roughly 1-3 sec is fine) every time a key in a car is turn ON (so when the circuit HAS power run for 2 seconds clock-wise direction and cut power)

and once the car is turn OFF (circuit loses 12V power) I need the circuit to run the DC motor in the counter clock-wise direction for 2 seconds and cut power. Repeat next time key is turn to ON

What would be the easiest, cheapest way to make a circuit like this, I may need many bunch of them in the future, this may not be a one of build.

I was thinking about using a cheap china Arduino and an h-bridge, but for some reason I feel there might be a simpler way with maybe a few micro relays and some circuit I haven't yet though of.

Any thoughts?

What sort of output power is required?
As in, do you have a concept of the motor size that is appropriate to the role?
Available patched to work as arduino, the attiny range would likely do it as you suggest, if programming is for you.
For simple, short delays, 2 seconds, that do not have to be very accurate, something simple based on 555 timers, or 556 dual timers, might also do it, with the right relay or two, or that H_bridge.
Which direction is your preference? What's priority?
price? electronics? programming?

supak111

★ƃuᴉɯǝɥɔs sʎɐʍlɐ★
Motor might drew upto 1 amp at 12v at for those few seconds while it ON.

I can program a $2 Arduino with an $2 h-bridge (this may end up being the only way), but I was wondering if there was a simpler way. There are some prebuilt 555 modules but all I've seen are single relay and not DPDT

Yea I though about the auto antennas but those have micro shut off switches inside which for my project just wont work unfortunately

The thing about running a motor both directions on a timer is that the motor will not return to the exact same position each time. Over time, the rest position might creep far enough out of place to be a problem. For whatever the motor is moving, are limit switches a possibility?

ak

supak111

★ƃuᴉɯǝɥɔs sʎɐʍlɐ★
My device has things in the way so it will be stopped at both ends after about 1 second in each direction. This is why I just want the power off after 2 sec to prevent it from overheating the motor

The way the question is written in post #1, it sounds like you want the motor to run for 2 seconds after all circuit power is removed. That can be done, it you add in a large capacitor that can store enough charge to run the motor for 2 seconds. Your problem is much more simple if the circuit and motor have power available constantly, and some kind of input signal tells it when to act.

ak