Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Circuit For A Desktop Fan

I'm currently doing a project at college and I am unsure of how to create a circuit that would allow for 3 different speeds in BLDC motor. To be more specific I am making a bladeless fan so the fan would be located in the base of the fan. So any help towards the circuit will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

You can drive 3 wire BLDC motors with RC ESC (Electronic Speed Controllers). Then, you can use standard servo signals to control their speed. Look it up, it's very easy using an arduino or other microcontroller. You can get ESCs and BLDC motors at hobby sites like HobbyKing.

If you are looking for a minimal circuit without microcontroller, you can probably come up with a logic circuit and some H driver chips that you could clock at different speeds. Sadly, the problem with BLDC motors is that getting them going is harder than you may think, because they can stop anywhere, and just energizing the turns makes it hard to predict which direction the motor will turn. You need to get it going, then sense the direction, then control the coils to get it moving properly. RC Controllers do this for you.