Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Circuit Board coding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just started using the green circuit boards (the ones with the holds and solder rings).

I notice that there is lettering (the alphabet) printed alongside one edge of the board. When i flip the board, there is also the alphabet, but it is in reverse order from the other side of the board.

Why wouldn't they make the letters match up on either side of the board. that way, if you identified a pin in column T, hole 1, you should be able to flip the board over and trace that same pin to T 1 on that side as well. But Nooooo....

Why would they not print the same order on both sides so that you can easily trace where things are?

Once again....show details or a link to what you are describing as there may be a simple answer.
As it is, and for future reference, no one here can see what you have in front of you.
Crystal balls all have flat batteries.

@SparkyCal You could always download kicad (free pcb design software) and work up a few perf board designs yourself. Will take less then an hour to figure out kicad. Then you can go to jlcpcb and have a batch printed out fairly cheaply. I do not really see it necessary tho if your working with THT then your only concerning yourself with one side of the grid anyway. The other side will already be poking through.

no one here can see what you have in front of you.Crystal balls all have flat batteries.
The board OP is talking about is extremely common. I'd wager just about everyone from electronics hobbyist to engineer understands but for those who do not, Here:

When Flipped around its repeated in the same order so your wire placed at A14 on this side would show as T14 on the reverse side.
Clipboard01.jpg

Last edited:
Thank-you. Your picture is matches up to what I had described. i guess I was just wondering why A14 on one side of the board, would not equal A14 on the opposite side. Why does it have to be T14?

I looked at a few other boards, and I am finding that the coding varies. For example. I have some boards where the alphabet rows do line up with each other on both sides of the board. That design makes greater sense to me, as it would be easier to find a component.

I guess I was just wondering what the logic is for doing it the other way.

davenn

i guess I was just wondering why A14 on one side of the board, would not equal A14 on the opposite side. Why does it have to be T14?

it should, unless of course its a cheap Chinese knockoff with manufacturing errors, or you are reading it wrong ?

This is not a reference to a particular circuit or schematic. I think this question has been described aptly

I do not think you are really in a position to start deciding what is and what isn't important in any request for information.
It was a suspicion that the product could be a cheap Chinese knock off BUT a photo would have confirmed this.
It is commonplace here for what may seem straightforward to be completely overlooked.
Nothing wrong with getting all the facts.

The board OP is talking about is extremely common. I'd wager just about everyone from electronics hobbyist to engineer understands but for those who do not, Here:

Hope you make yourself familiar with the above also.

It was a suspicion that the product could be a cheap Chinese knock off BUT a photo would have confirmed this.

What does that have to do with anything about the question? Those green boards are hardly proprietary. The facts given where enough for the question asked which was basically more of a rant then anything else. Why does my prototype board with the a-z grid not match up on the reverse side? Don't see why that would need a photo but more info never hurts that is true.

Honestly no one but the creator could answer because we do not know if it was from poor planning or chosen that way for convenience of both sides being identical (in the thinking its more of a 1 sided board).

Last edited:
I notice that there is lettering (the alphabet) printed alongside one edge of the board. When i flip the board, there is also the alphabet, but it is in reverse order from the other side of the board.

Why wouldn't they make the letters match up on either side of the board.
I must be misunderstanding something.

In order for the holes to be labelled the same, the letters must be backwards on the flip side.

In other words, if you flip the board you show left to right, the letters must appear as:

TSRQ ... CBA

Which is what you said was the case.

Bob

davenn

OK question has need asked
Answers given

The OP seems not to be able to supply a photo as asked for

thread is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.