Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Chrysler Jeep Dodge rec navigation unit problems

Ok I just bought an 08 Jeep Patriot limited edition and the factory radio with navigation is messed up. It plays radio stations and can change between them. Do not know if cd/dvd/mp3 or navigation works. Cause screen has lines running through it. The lines do move when buttons are pushed or station is changed. I took it out and checked connections and took can of compressorized air and blew it off. But that didn't help any. I am wondering if anyone knows how to fix it. Have read about board getting corroded. Have looked to see about replacement board but no luck. Thinking I may need to take it apart a little bit further and look deeper into unit to find problem. Or would it be best to just buy another radio.

I would look for a loose or corroded connection. Look at ribbon cables and try gently pushing on lcd display where the ribbon touches. If this doesn't help you probably have a bad chip/software on display portion of the control board.

Diagnosing and repairing intricate smd components is akin to brain surgery (Imo) and is probably not feasible unless you're experienced with it.

I imagine a used replacement can be had rather inexpensively (ebay?) since many have upgraded to the better "mygig" system.

On trick that has worked for me is, gently cleaning the ribbon cable ends with alcohol and the copper traces they contact with an eraser from a #2 pencil.

Also check the metal bezel around the lcd display. If it doesn't contact well, it can cause display to drop out.