Maker Pro
Maker Pro

CCTV CAMERA LINGO

The camera that I ordered lists HD 700TVL as an attribute. I'm guessing "High Definition ??????." I do not really have a good guess for 700TVL but I'll try 700 lines in the raster.
Anybody know?

CAMERA MINI 1.2.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Harald Kapp

Specification:
Brand: Mista
Item name: FPV camera
Resolution (horizontal center): 700TVL
Lens: 3.6mm/2.8mm (Optional)
Signal system: PAL
Total pixels: PAL: 1020H × 596V (610,000 images)
Effective pixels: PAL: 976H × 582V (57 million images)
Video output amplitude: 1.0Vp-p / 75Ω
Automatic gain control: 0.25 / 0.50 / 0.75 / 1.00 four levels can be adjusted, up to 55dB
White balance method: selectable on / off
Exposure mode: electronic exposure
Electronic shutter: 1/50 (1/60)-1/100000 seconds
Gamma correction: 0.45 / 1.0
Synchronization method: internal synchronization
Working voltage: DC12V (wide voltage, measured can work normally at 12V)
Working current: 70mA (low power consumption)
Working temperature: -20 ℃ --60 ℃
Humidity: 0% ~98%
Shell size: 32mm * 32mm
Weight: 9.5g

700 TVL is explained here. No HD at all.

That is a terrible advertising ploy.
I thought High Definition instantly and TVLines.
You should email the company and ask them what HD means with their camera model.
While you are at it, ask them what the CE marking means.
HD = Hing’s Discounts
CE = Chinglish Export

Martin

Harald Kapp

And btw: you're very likely not going to be happy with PAL. Look for NTSC, the common video format in the USA.
Then again, it depends on what you are going to do with the camera. Maybe PAL will work in your application.

Tip: next time first check the parameters, then go shopping.:rolleyes:

And btw: you're very likely not going to be happy with PAL. Look for NTSC, the common video format in the USA.
Then again, it depends on what you are going to do with the camera. Maybe PAL will work in your application.

Tip: next time first check the parameters, then go shopping.:rolleyes:
True enough. I did spend very little time shopping. The prime objective was to find a camera that along with its enclosure, will pass thru a 9/16" diameter hole. That is a typical size vent hole thru the cap plate of water wells in this area. Disconnecting pipes and lifting the entire length of well pipe, to gain access to the well shaft is very labor intensive, requires a substantial piece of equipment to handle the weight, and is highly likely to result in at least needing to make some minor repairs. If the specs on this camera are correct, stating a circuit board of 3.6mm square, that will solve the size problem. Hopefully, it will have adequate resolution to serve its purpose. I am leery of the size being correctly stated but will find out upon delivery. Thank you for the info.

Harald Kapp

From back in another life ... TVL, television lines, is a semi-subjective measure of the maximum image resolution ***in the horizontal direction only***. Vertically, resolution is fixed by the number of scan lines in a frame. Horizontally, resolution is based on the signal bandwidth - the highest possible frequency of rapid changes from very bright to very dark. This value is tightly regulated for signals that are broadcast over the air, but not for a privately contained system like what you are describing.

So, even though the nominal horizontal resolution is around 400 lines in NTSC, it is entirely possible for the camera's signal system to support 1000 lines. Now the limiting feature is the quality and resolution of the image sensor in the camera. One would think that it is simple - 1400 pixels horizontally could make a signal with 700 alternating white and black signals for a resolution of 700 lines (one TVL is a two-pixel pair, one bright and one dark), but it's not that simple. People get away with all kinds of claims about resolution. Check the datasheet or press the manufacturer for the sensor "size" in horizontal and vertical pixels.

The NTSC vs. PAL resolution debate has been on for decades. For still-frames and non-broadcast, PAL has an obviously higher vertical resolution and probably higher horizontal resolution (back in the vidicon/plumbicon days). NTSC has fewer motion artifacts because of its higher field rate, for better apparent resolution in a moving image.

For which purpose?
A lens (with or without fiber optics) will neither increase the resolution nor chnage the output from PAL to NTSC.

Look up "endoscope" to find off the shelf cameras designed specifically for the purpose of peeking through small openings. They come as standalone devices or as attachments for smartphones.
Very good idea. I'm not sure why endoscope didn't come to mind earlier. I was just logging in to mention that I am basically trying to construct a 500 foot endoscope. The fiber optic question was considering use of a single strand, as a viewing apparatus. The tip could perhaps be shaped and polished. Other strands could be used to transport light to viewing area. Just a notion. If it is possible, it may save me some headaches concerning signal degradation caused by 500 feet of spooled cable. Viewing device will be fed down water well shafts, some which exceed 400 feet.

From back in another life ... TVL, television lines, is a semi-subjective measure of the maximum image resolution ***in the horizontal direction only***. Vertically, resolution is fixed by the number of scan lines in a frame. Horizontally, resolution is based on the signal bandwidth - the highest possible frequency of rapid changes from very bright to very dark. This value is tightly regulated for signals that are broadcast over the air, but not for a privately contained system like what you are describing.

So, even though the nominal horizontal resolution is around 400 lines in NTSC, it is entirely possible for the camera's signal system to support 1000 lines. Now the limiting feature is the quality and resolution of the image sensor in the camera. One would think that it is simple - 1400 pixels horizontally could make a signal with 700 alternating white and black signals for a resolution of 700 lines (one TVL is a two-pixel pair, one bright and one dark), but it's not that simple. People get away with all kinds of claims about resolution. Check the datasheet or press the manufacturer for the sensor "size" in horizontal and vertical pixels.

The NTSC vs. PAL resolution debate has been on for decades. For still-frames and non-broadcast, PAL has an obviously higher vertical resolution and probably higher horizontal resolution (back in the vidicon/plumbicon days). NTSC has fewer motion artifacts because of its higher field rate, for better apparent resolution in a moving image.
I was under the impression that NTSC CRTs ran with 525 horizontal lines, either clocked 1 thru 525, some being blanked, or interleaved. Half the lines on first pass and other half on second pass. Odd number lines then even number lines sort of thing. I have no knowledge of LED monitors but assume that it is similar in the notion that each pixel is lighted with its unique data package and pixels are enabled sequentially.

I was under the impression that NTSC CRTs ran with 525 horizontal lines, either clocked 1 thru 525, some being blanked, or interleaved. Half the lines on first pass and other half on second pass. Odd number lines then even number lines sort of thing.
Correct. Original NTSC has 262.5 lines per field, interleaved into 525 lines per frame. There are 21.5 lines in the vertical interval, and that sets the *vertical* resolution to approx 480 lines. Each horizontal line is continuous sweep, so its resolution is set electrically by the bandwidth of the signal system and optically by the response time of the CRT phosphor.

PAL has 625 lines per frame, which is why it has better static resolution, but only 25 frames per second, which is why the viewer seess more motion artifacts.

ak

bertus

Hello,

PAL is also interlaced:
Phase Alternating Line (PAL) is a colour encoding system for analogue television used in broadcast television systems in most countries broadcasting at 625-line / 50 field (25 frame) per second (576i). It was one of three major analogue colour television standards, the others being NTSC and SECAM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL

Baseband interoperability (analogue)

Spectrum of a System I (bands IV and V) television channel with PAL or SECAM color
When 576i video is transmitted via baseband (i.e., via consumer device cables, not via RF), most of the differences between the "one-letter" systems are no longer significant, other than vertical resolution and frame rate.

In this context, unqualified 576i invariably means

• 625 lines per frame, of which 576 carry picture content
  • 25 frames per second interlaced yielding 50 fields per second
  • Two interlaced video fields per frame
  • With PAL or SECAM color (4.43 MHz or 3.58 MHz (576i-N & 576i-NC))
  • frequency-modulated or amplitude-modulated audio (mono)
  • Mono or stereo audio, if sent via connector cables between devices

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/576i

Bertus

That is a terrible advertising ploy.
I thought High Definition instantly and TVLines.
You should email the company and ask them what HD means with their camera model.
While you are at it, ask them what the CE marking means.
HD = Hing’s Discounts
CE = Chinglish Export

Martin
Might be model number. Looks like C represents Cone Pinhole. Blank on the others.

Received camera today. I was mistaken regarding physical dimensions. Actual dim is 12mm x 12mm x12.5mm. Still workable although to large to pass thru 9/16" hole. I called Skeder over at Phukkette Well Service and he said we can drill out the vent hole to 1 or 1¼" if need be. Have to capture the cuttings tho. NP. This should be fun.