Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Card Reader type

I have contacted Dish network about their old systems and they told me they are garbage, so I have one of their PVR sets and one of their standard ones.
I have aquired a digital LNBF for my 10' Cband dish and I want to do some space scanning for other world life forms...( "u" )
So they employed a chip card technology that is probably one of those system specific encoded from one of the vendors I found on this web site, but which one? who knows... What I wondered is if anybody on here can tell me what kind of cards they use(there are a couple different kinds) ....

If I send a pic of the guts of the readers.... can any one tell me if they are memory readers or cpu/mpu card readers?

I would assume the PVR to be a CPU/MPU and the standard one probably just memory, but I haven't cracked the cases yet. Can I convert these to a PC system?

The cards I think you are referring to are encoded access cards used to gain access to selected satellite frequencies.(pay channels)
"Cracking" the cases won't help you much at all.

davenn

I have contacted Dish network about their old systems and they told me they are garbage, so I have one of their PVR sets and one of their standard ones.
I have aquired a digital LNBF for my 10' Cband dish and I want to do some space scanning for other world life forms...( "u" )

Then the satellite receivers with a card encoded system is pointless/useless for the purpose you want

you need a wide band and very low noise receiver.... you are highly unlikely to find too much to listen for in the ~ 6GHz C-band area

now if you wanted to go to the bottom end of the X -Band ~ 8 - 9 GHz then there are all the planetary exploration spacecraft to listen for

Just go online and look for the channel/frequency you are scanning/using. The details will invariably indicate which coding system is in use for the signal you're receiving.

If you get a PC-based receiver card system you'll invariably find software that decodes 'everything' on the fly...... you only have to look around :D

davenn

Just go online and look for the channel/frequency you are scanning/using. The details will invariably indicate which coding system is in use for the signal you're receiving.

If you get a PC-based receiver card system you'll invariably find software that decodes 'everything' on the fly...... you only have to look around :D

did you actually read what he wanted to do ? ;)

hint .... It has nothing to do with satellite TV

davenn

You saw the OP's name - what do you think? :p

that doesn't make sense in the context of what I asked you ;)

you didn't seem to see what he wanted to do ... regardless of his capability or not :)

the practical side of what he wants to do is valid, the dish and LNA are useable,
but as I said in my first post to him, he needs a cardless receiver

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I'm still not sure what he wants to do.

Is it to convert the PVR into a PC?

Is it to use the parts inside (the card reader?) With his PC?

Is it to search for aliens?

Is it to hack the PVR into life without the need for a card?

I'm starting to deal with @tedstruk's posts as performance art. It's sort of a collaboration between him and the unwilling or unaware. The clear aim is to create something in which he trancends meaning or purpose, drawing the observer and participant alike into a realm where the very basis of rational thought becomes something to be suspicious of. The undercurrent of his work, by bringing nonsense and truth to the same moral level, is to comment on the divided state of politics in the world today. He shatters the notion that "art is in the eye of the beholder" by symbolically poking his finger in the eye of those he appears to question, and by interspersing his work amongst serious questions posed by other people.

The moderators of this forum are pleased, not only to have aquired a body of his past work, but to have him continue to work in our gallery in real time.

The artist desires that you leave this exhibit with the ability to question the nature of reality, with ability to see fantasy with a new realism, and the desire to embrace all that isn't real.

We congratulate @tedstruk for this exhibit and remind patrons that we will be showing a retrospective of his greatest works later this year. Advance tickets are available in the foyer.

(Yes, I've been to quite a number of art galleries recently)