Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can it damage IC if connecting two speaker in parallel in output?

I have just assembled a "STK 4231 ii" based amplifier unit what is

2 channel 100w stereo audio amplifier
I also have two 8ohm 8 inch speaker and two 4 ohms Speaker. If I connect two 8ohm in two output of my amplifier plays little noise - I think it is because speaker box vibrate much. But if I connect 8 ohm + 4 Ohm speaker ( both 8 inch in size) in parallel, sound plays much better and clear. But I want to know if I play both speaker in parallel, will my amplifier IC be damaged?

I am not expert in electronics but did study as a part and can understand little. If anyone can explain little it will be very helpful.

Thank for valuable time.

The recommended load for the STK 4231 is 8Ω but to get the output you need a power supply of +/-51V. Do you have this?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
8 ohms in parallel with 4 ohms is 2.67 ohms. That's way less than 8 ohms.

If you are operating this at a voltage higher than +/- 17 volts then you risk exceeding the maximum current through the device.

I wonder if your 8 ohm speaker is damaged.

8 ohms in parallel with 4 ohms is 2.67 ohms. That's way less than 8 ohms.

If you are operating this at a voltage higher than +/- 17 volts then you risk exceeding the maximum current through the device.

I wonder if your 8 ohm speaker is damaged.

Yes, in parallel ohms will be reduced to 2.6 ohms. I did not run longer in parallel without confirmation, I think it did not damage.

Re: I am sadly announcing that, I have lost one 8Ohoms speaker! :( you were right!!!, can you tell me why 8Ohms gone instead of 4Ohms speaker??

Last edited:
That is what I quoted. Measure the voltage that you have in reality and see how it varies as the volume is changed.
Ok, I mentioned output voltage of my transformer + bridge rectifier. Sometimes it drops down to 50/49v to 51 to 52. I did not find a output voltage controller to make a fixed 51 volts as 7805 ic does output volts fixed to output 5volts. I found on net something lmxx ic to build a custom one. Is this variation of output voltage of my transformer will damage anything? This transformer is locally build.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Your 8 ohm speaker was probably not capable of handling the power from your amplifier.

The amplifier IC does not need a voltage regulator.
The amplifier is designed for an 8 ohm speaker for each channel. With 2.6 ohms (8 ohms // 4 ohms) or 2 ohms (two 4 ohms in parallel) either the amplifier will be destroyed by the current that is too high or the amplifier will limit the current producing severe distortion.

A speaker needs to have an enclosure designed for its specs to prevent the cone from moving too far causing damage. A sealed enclosure produces maximum cone movement at its resonance frequency (damped by the amplifier) and a ported enclosure at very low frequencies.