Maker Pro

Building little vacuum tube amplifier

Miguel Lopez submitted a new Project Log:

Building little vacuum tube amplifier

Hello everybody

I want to share with you the steps on building a little and practical audio amplifier, based on Soviet vacuum tubes. I decided to build this little device in order to use it as an tool in future experimentation on vacuum tube electronics. I have always planned to build a radio using vacuum tubes, but in my modest opinion it would be very useful to have a little and compact amplifier to amplify the signals if I'm able to tune and detect them.

First of all, as this is a log, date of beginning:

The circuit in question is the one which attracted my attention to vacuum tubes about 7 years ago. In that moment I tried to build it but things went improving, knowledge too, and I finally ended building a bigger stereo amplifier which is currently in use at home. I've been a bit distanced from vacuum electronics in the last couple of years due to time availability, but I think that now I can resume my experimentation (and fun) playing with glass and electrons, so I decided to go for it.

The circuit that I want to build I found it on a Russian website (I don't remember which one right now, sorry). It is shown on Picture #1. Anyway, I will make some variations of this circuit as I want to use a vaccum rectifier. All of the tube-based circuits that I have built, have silicon rectifiers, but I'm interested to use a vacuum full-wave rectifier to experiment with the behaviour of this kind of power supply. Problem is that I also want to use a transformer that I winded for another project (to save time and labour) which has a single HT winding. Then I decided to use the circuit on Picture #2, which appears on The Valve Wizard page about rectifiers. This way I can have the behaviour of a full wave vacuum tube rectifier while I have a single winding transformer. I know, I know.....it will not be an "all-vacuum" set but after all, this is for experimentation.......and fun.

The other thing to have into account is: SPACE. Not outer space, but space in my workshop, my bench and my shelves. My shelves are at full capacity of "probably-I-will-never-use" stuff, as it should be on any DIYER workshop, so space is something very important to have in mind. So, I decided to build the chassis in tower style, in order to save space. This will be a very compact (if I can say so) audio amplifier with a built-in speaker. Oh! I forgot to tell you that it will have a built-in speaker. Well, for the same considerations of space and usefulness,...

Read more about this project log here...

I can see the progress with your work I hope that it will great success. Looking forward to seeing the final output and if it functions well.

Harald Kapp

I wouldn't call this a "little" amplifier.;)
Anyway, nice project, looking forward to your progress.

Well, last weekend I found a suitable speaker on my "war reserve". It fits perfectly on the amplifier and sounds well too. Wait for pictures

The amplifier is already fully functional. I used it this weekend amplifying the signal from a DVD player. Pictures on the Project Log