Maker Pro
Maker Pro

BUCK switching waveform ... problem

I have a 5V to 1V bulk which is built in PMIC, the schematics diagram is as below picture
KVT7HSW.jpg

I measure at the point LX, the waveform as below is wierd, I think it should be square waveform, but it is a little distored.
XtG12Rm.jpg

Need help what is going on?

So am I reading this correctly?

You have a 26mv spike lasting 2.5usec?
What is the load?

YES you are right.
Load is CPU's V-CORE, current consumption MAX to 2A.
Because I am not much familiar with DCDC buck, so I don't know if the LX signal is fine or not.

Last edited:
If Q1 turns on fully then the LX waveform should have a flat top at 5V.

I thought that Q2 should have a diode across it to take the current while Q2 is turning on.

If Q1 turns on fully then the LX waveform should have a flat top at 5V.

I thought that Q2 should have a diode across it to take the current while Q2 is turning on.
No, the waveforms shown are quite normal.
The circuit shown is a Synchronous Rectifier type where the normal diode is replaced with Q2. Q2 would normally be on when Q1 is off.

The output ripple can be caused by a number of things.
  • Parasitic capacitance of the inductor windings. This allows the fast edges of the switching waveform to partially bypass L.
  • Poor ESR of Cout. Large electrolytic types will exhibit this. Several smaller value types will help to mitigate it. A few 100n ceramic caps will also help.
  • Poor layout will also contribute. One of the main candidates here would be poor grounding. All the high current points should sum at one junction and not be daisy chained.
  • A lot of the rubbish on the output could be removed by the use of a high impedance Cylindrical Ferrite core on the output leads.