Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Broken LED grow light help

Hello all,

hoping that someone can advise me on how to fix my led grow light. one of the bulbs have popped and has caused some of the LEDs to not come on. I have attached photos of the front and back. the back is sealed shut so I can't currently see the wiring unless I try to take the seal off.

I'm thinking that I could maybe solder off the broken led and its resistor and solder on wires in its place to keep the connection?

if someone could tell me if this is a good and or safe idea I would hugely appreciate the help.

best

jack

1.jpg

2.jpg

Harald Kapp

I'm thinking that I could maybe solder off the broken led and its resistor and solder on wires in its place to keep the connection?
if someone could tell me if this is a good and or safe idea I would hugely appreciate the help.
If you replace the LED by wires, this may lead to an overload of the remaining LEDs, depending on the construction of the circuit. Better replace the LED by another one with similar characteristics (color, pass voltage). You can easily measure the pass voltage across any of the other working LEDs with a voltmeter/multimeter.

You will more than likely find removing the faulty leds by unsoldering an almost impossible task. This is due to the heatsink effect of each led and the method each is attached to the main board.
I have replaced similar 1w leds in nail cure units with some success by cutting away the legs and body of the led and then, with a large wattage iron, soldering in a new device with additional copper wire tails.
Certainly not a beginner straightforward task.

Know what needs replacing. The two components that are most likely to require replacement on a led grow light are the power converters and the led diodes themselves , a fault developing with the led diodes themselves would be unusual as quality led diodes from market leading manufacturers Cree, Osram, Bridgelux etc., very rarely display faults. More often than not, it is a problem with the power converters that cause the faults in led grow lights.
Lay the led grow light face down (fans facing you) on a soft towel , polystyrene block etc to avoid damage to face of led grow light.
Loosen the case screws with a screwdriver and put the screws somewhere safe.
Now pull apart the front case and back case , pull the cases apart slowly to prevent pulling the internal electrical connections.
The internal electronics and electrical components can now easily be viewed.

a fault developing with the led diodes themselves would be unusual
You can clearly see a faulty LED in the photo.
Theses units are typically wired in series and the series circuits are connected in parallel.
This is why a blown LED causes others on the same series circuit to not come on.

Martin

Know what needs replacing. The two components that are most likely to require replacement on a led grow light are the power converters and the led diodes themselves , a fault developing with the led diodes themselves would be unusual as quality led diodes from market leading manufacturers Cree, Osram, Bridgelux etc., very rarely display faults. More often than not, it is a problem with the power converters that cause the faults in led grow lights.
Lay the led grow light face down (fans facing you) on a soft towel , polystyrene block etc to avoid damage to face of led grow light.
Loosen the case screws with a screwdriver and put the screws somewhere safe.
Now pull apart the front case and back case , pull the cases apart slowly to prevent pulling the internal electrical connections.
The internal electronics and electrical components can now easily be viewed.
Wasn't unusual with the nail cure LEDs.
Many hours of service and as Martine says, some will go open and cause certain series strings to drop out.