Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Bose Centerpoint Car Audio Speakers

I have a factory installed Bose Centerpoint Stereo system in my '06 Chevy Tahoe. The speaker that is installed in the driver side door has a kind of muffled/vibrating sound (I knew I shouldn't let my 19 y.o. son drive it...possibly due to turning the bass & volume to max or spilled drink!). First...can anyone tell me how to go about removing the speaker cover, and second...what do i look for? I'm a "do-it-yourself'r" if at all possible and have replaced fuses for the dash display, etc., but audio speakers are unfamiliar territory for me.

I cant tell you how to remove the cover, but i can give you some clues as to weather you need to replace the speaker or not.

1. can you see any physical damage to the cone:- rips, tears gashes in the cone can usually be patched up ok. On paper cones you can use tissue paper with a watered down solution of wood glue... cut the tissue paper bigger than the hole, soak the area around the hole with the watered down wood glue then lay on the tissue paper and then soak the tissue paper with some more of the wood glue solution... allow plenty of time to dry and then the cone should sound ok.

2. Can you see any problems with the rubber surround:- new rubber surrounds can be fitted reasonably easily, although on some cheaper speakers its often nearly as cheap to just replace the whole speaker.

3. no visible damage to cone or surround:- gently push the cone in and release it, it should feel very smooth and spring back as soon as you release pressure on it... if you can feel any scraping or roughness as you push the cone in, then its probable that the speaker needs replacing.

Norm (aka warf135)