Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Blown transformer query

Hi -

I just picked up a Roland GR50 guitar synth module on Ebay. Unfortunately the seller neglected to mention that this was a US unit, although it was fitted with a standard UK plug.

It worked for about 8 seconds before it failed with a puff of smoke. I don't know much about electronics but I was wondering if there was any chance of getting it going again. Seems to me that the transformer is kaputt (burnt smell) but the main circuitboard might have survived.

The markings on the transformer are:

Kitamura Kiden
P: 0V WHT, 120V YEL
S: 19.2V RED, 8.9V ORG
K1G1P

(See pics)

I guess I need to provide 19V, 9V, and an earth to the plug that clips onto the circuitboard. Don't know how to go about that though. Any thoughts...?

Attachments

• gr501.jpg
    gr501.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 576
  • gr502.jpg
    gr502.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 584
Last edited:
The black wire may be a centertap for the red (19V) wires. You'll have to measure (Ohm) that to be sure. After doing that you can cut them close to the transformer.
Otherwise your biggest challenge is how to lay out the replacement transformer(s) within the the physical constraints of the case. That won't be easy..
The replacement(s) should be at least as heavy (in sum), and have similar or less resistance (on the 9 & 19V wires) - as the original.
You may however be able to get a (240V) replacement directly from Roland. I'd check that option out first, before going to all the trouble described above.