Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Blender conversion into rc car

So I'm gonna take a guess and say that I can convert a blender into an rc car. Sounds pretty straight forward if you think about it. Powerful motor in blender stripped down laid horizontally paired to pulley or something. i am open to any suggestions. Is this a good idea?

Harald Kapp

You'll need a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery long extension cord to power the ex blender motor...

Have you considered using off-the-shelf RC components which ave been honed over the years to fit the purpose?

Harald Kapp

Afaik a blender motor is AC powered. You'll need a DC/AC converter with sufficient output voltage and power to operate the motor.

A blender will need ~ 500 W (give or take some).
Suppose you have a 12 V battery and an ideal converter (note that no ideal converter exists, add 10 %... 20 % losses for the converter). 500 W from 12 V means 42 A (rounded). You'll need a 14 Ah battery to run the car for 20 minutes.

A brushles RC motor can be had at e.g. up to 700 W top power, will weigh less than the blender's motor and RC speed control is readily available.
Plus all the other gear you'll need to control the RC car.
Minus the risk of dealing with potentially lethal voltages as required by the blender motor.

davenn

A blender will need ~ 500 W (give or take some).
Suppose you have a 12 V battery and an ideal converter (note that no ideal converter exists, add 10 %... 20 % losses for the converter). 500 W from 12 V means 42 A (rounded). You'll need a 14 Ah battery to run the car for 20 minutes.

Good point but I am just interested in making it work not how effeciant it is

you realise it will be a big and heavy battery ... eg a car battery ?
what physical size did you expect your RC car to be ?

Others have pointed out the impracticalities, but if you're determined to use a blender motor post the spec of the motor (voltage/current/power/frequency ratings).

I think I will build an RC car with a steam engine. Does anybody know how large he water tank will have to be?

Bob

Harald Kapp

Does anybody know how large he water tank will have to be?
Why use water? Use liquid air, then you will not need an additional source of heat to generate 'steam'. The thermal energy from the ambient will suffice, provided your heat exchanger is big enough.