Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Bird 43

Would anyone know what the potted 14 pin ic is in a bird 4300-404 peak reading circuit.?
I am trying to repair one,and all testing leads to what is in the potted portion of the circuit.
Don Henderickx
wa9jju

Sir Donald Henderickx . . . . . . . .(and do we place major phonetic emphasis on the k or the x . . . or both ? )

Isn't that just being a standard “ BURD” Model 43 with an add on / mechanically supported board at the meter terminals ?
Also, isn’t it using two 9 V batteries ?

If being just an 8 term DIP I would highly suspect an LM358 being used in its amp and S& H function.
Now, with it using a 14 pin dip and you say potted? . . . . . Meaning that you couldn’t easily pull; that DIP . . . nor even see its top ?

How about measuring this chip to see if you are finding its Vcc voltage being on its pin #4 and 11 is being ground.
And also give us all of its unused pin connections, THEN we will possibly be able to see if it is what I think that it is, by its other pins.

73s de Edd

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir Donald Henderickx . . . . . . . .(and do we place major phonetic emphasis on the k or the x . . . or both ? )

Isn't that just being a standard “ BURD” Model 43 with an add on / mechanically supported board at the meter terminals ?
Also, isn’t it using two 9 V batteries ?

If being just an 8 term DIP I would highly suspect an LM358 being used in its amp and S& H function.
Now, with it using a 14 pin dip and you say potted? . . . . . Meaning that you couldn’t easily pull; that DIP . . . nor even see its top ?

How about measuring this chip to see if you are finding its Vcc voltage being on its pin #4 and 11 is being ground.
And also give us all of its unused pin connections, THEN we will possibly be able to see if it is what I think that it is, by its other pins.

73s de Edd

Hello Edd: I would say emphasis on both and on the (der).
Yes it is a standard BURD with a meter supported board with two 9 volt batteries
I do find Vcc on pin #4 and 11 being ground . As far as the other pins are concerned is that there is a trace
connecting pins #7 and #10 on the foil side of the board, that is all I can be sure of as the potting covers.the chip and
surrounding components.on the component side of the board.
What I have done is put the board in a milling machine and milled down to the surface of the IC,hoping foolishly that I might find a trace of an identifier.(fat chance).
If the IC might be a "common" one I could mill the chip completely with out touching the surrounding components and replace same.
Thank you for responding to my query.
Don H
73's

Sir Donald Henderickx . . . . . . . . and thats being HEAVEE on the DER and KX . . .

I highly suspicion some sections of the old workhorse LM324 being used for your mystery I.C.
Check this pin out, if it’s being a DIP package.

You test all four sections by DC voltage monitoring of an output pin of 1-7-8 or 14 and take a 4.7 or 10 k resistor from +9VDC to one and then the other input pins of that specific op amp.

Then you should experience a voltage shift at that units monitored output.

Your feedback of 7 being connecting to 10 is indicative of units 2 output and 3's input being utilized while, possibly, units 1 and 4 just possibly may not even be utilized.

Now . . . . . check it ooooooooo uuuu t t t t t !

LM324.jpg

https://www.elprocus.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/LM324.jpg

73’s De Edd

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir Donald Henderickx . . . . . . . . and thats being HEAVEE on the DER and KX . . .

I highly suspicion some sections of the old workhorse LM324 being used for your mystery I.C.
Check this pin out, if it’s being a DIP package.

You test all four sections by DC voltage monitoring of an output pin of 1-7-8 or 14 and take a 4.7 or 10 k resistor from +9VDC to one and then the other input pins of that specific op amp.

Then you should experience a voltage shift at that units monitored output.

Your feedback of 7 being connecting to 10 is indicative of units 2 output and 3's input being utilized while, possibly, units 1 and 4 just possibly may not even be utilized.

Now . . . . . check it ooooooooo uuuu t t t t t !

LM324.jpg

https://www.elprocus.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/LM324.jpg
Hello Edd

Here are my observations. It is a 14 pin dip package.
I am using a simpson 260 minus to pin 11 + to ic outputs
The vcc measures 12 v
out 1 , 6.2 v pulls down to .75 with 4.7 k to -input ,up to 7.6 4.7k to +input

out 2, 6.2v pulls down to .75 with 4.7 k to -input ,up t0 11v 4.7 to +input

out 3, 0v no change 4.7k to inputs

out 4, 6.2 volts no change 4.7 k to -input, up to 11v 4.7k to +input
hope this makes sense
Don H

73’s De Edd