Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Bicycle generator

I hurt my knee and need to exercise on my stationary bicycle so I want to attach a DC motor to the wheel to charge a battery
I want to add an analog Volt meter and an analog Ampere meter to observe output.
but when I quit cycling the battery turns the bicycle in the opposite direction .
I would appreciate a simple design to charge a battery with a DC motor and placement of the meters and any Diodes needed
Thanks for reading this and appreciate any help, I will have to do this exercise for the rest of my life
Jeffrey

davenn

but when I quit cycling the battery turns the bicycle in the opposite direction .
I would appreciate a simple design to charge a battery with a DC motor and placement of the meters and any Diodes needed

yes, to be expected ;)

A blocking diode will stop that from happening

charging.GIF

You just need to ensure that the diode selected is rated to handle a bit higher current than
what is likely to flow through it.

Dave

What type of battery are you charging, and at what current? Simply connecting a battery to a generator could either damage the battery or set it on fire.

Bob

A lithium battery overcharging could set fire to your entire neighbourhood or town. Insurance won't cover the damage.

Maybe use a car battery 40Ah and one (or more) of the dynamos that run on the wheel rim with a couple of bridge rectifiers.
I doubt that 15 minutes of pedalling that will do any damage.:D

(Could pass out from the hydrogen fumes if the Op was super fit.)