Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Best solution for ESD protection of USB port.

Beginner here. Im trying to find a good ESD protection IC for a simple USB to RS232 converter.

I am looking at PRTR5V0U2X and IP4234CZ6, both from NXP.

To me it seems like most of the specifications are very similar. Both has low capacitance, both are ideal for USB, protects up to 8kv and can protect the data and Vbus lines. The main difference I see is that the IP4234CZ6 has 6 legs and the data lines goes through the IC whereas the PRTR5V0U2X only has 4 legs and the data lines are simply connected to the IC.

What is the reason for this? Which IC provides best ESD protection?

Harald Kapp

Welcome to our forum.

The converter you link already has ESD protection.

The main difference I see is that the IP4234CZ6 has 6 legs and the data lines goes through the IC whereas the PRTR5V0U2X only has 4 legs and the data lines are simply connected to the IC.
The IP4234CZ6 also has a built-in series resistor to limit ESD currents. This IC probably gives better protection than the other.

davenn

To me it seems like most of the specifications are very similar. Both has low capacitance, both are ideal for USB, protects up to 8kv and can protect the data and Vbus lines

But the USB - serial converter you linked to almost doubles that voltage protection ;)

Electrostatic protection
Protection against static electricity and surges of up to 15KV gives you reliable data transfers and protects the converter and your equipment from damage due to over voltages.

So as Harald suggested, you don't need anything else :)

Dave