Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Beginner Q: 400' Internet Extension Options?

Hey! I need to supply internet to a location in a field about 400' from the modem. The location is hidden behind a thick stand of trees and there is no cell service in the area.

The only option I know of is to run 400' of ethernet cable out there with a repeater before the 100m mark.

Is there a way to do this using fiber optic cables or something that does not require a PoE and additional power source?

Edit: I could go into more detail...
The field will see a lot of moisture. It will likely never drop below 0ºF, nor get much over 100º. The wires should not be water-logged

The idea was to hook the extension cables up to an old Centurylink modem (brand new back in 2013) to broadcast some wifi at the field location. That specific modem simply because I happen to have it on-hand.

There will be an extension cord running alongside the ethernet/internet extension cable, so powering a PoE with the ethernet cable isn't out of the question. I'd just have to build water-tight housing for it.

I don't fully understand it; if I have a PoE router/modem out in the field, will it be capable of boosting the signal from its end? I've seen some PoE's that require no power source that say they work off "passive PoE" devices. Trying to puzzle that out.

Edit edit:
Can I use a media converter on each router and run fiber optics cables between them...?

Last edited:
Is the phone service fibre or copper?
Perhaps drop the modem at the site and run the phone line back to the original location.

The lines going into the router, as are the lines connecting near the telephone pole.

From what I gather, a media converter between each router, the appropriate transceiver, and an outdoor fiber cable should do the trick?

Edit:
My materials list:
x2 MC's rated for 1.25gb SFP
x2 LW LC 16G SFP transceivers
x1 500' length of SM outdoor fiber optic cable with LC connectors

Last edited: