Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Balance Potentiometer Bypass

Hi, I wish to bypass a six pin two gang 50k rotary potentiometer which is the balance adjustment in a NAD 7040 reciver amp. The unit has a combined Balance and Volume control, which is broken and the original part is unavailable. I can replace the volume pot, but I wish to bypass the Balance pot. Can I just connect the input and output connectors together and leave the ground floating? Do I need to use a resistor or can I just wire them together?

Perhaps replace with a couple of 50k trim pots set to centre.
They are small and could be left floating with a small amount of insulation tape wrapped around each separately.

That's a great idea, and will allow me to make adjustments if required. Thank you. I've just wired the signal in and out connections together as it's just the balance section I'm bypassing and I am going to replace the volume pot. I'll try your idea if my first plan is unsatisfactory. Thank you.

Another member suggested I do this. It was put to me I could use a 22k resistor, however since this is a balance control pot, and I am replacing the volume control pot, surely I'd want full volume on each channel? A resistor would reduce the volume wouldn't it?

I suggested you just replace the existing balance pot dual gang with 2 x 50K miniature pots (centred) and hang them inside somewhere.
I think you will find the reference to 22k resistor would be to use 4 of them.
Two each join together in series, 3 wires from each pot section go to the end , centre, and other end, just like in the original.
Two sets required.
Same same really.

Okay thanks have ordered a couple of small 50k trim pots which look like they will fit nicely. I am guessing they will have to be inverted with one another as this seems to be how the dual gang balance pot was connected.

I am guessing they will have to be inverted with one another as this seems to be how the dual gang balance pot was connected.

No idea what this is supposed to mean.
If referring to connection and the pots are measured and set to centre as it should be, there is no difference.

The dual gang balance pot appears to be two volume pots inverted and connected together, so as the knob is turned, one channel increases, the other decreases.