Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Automatic links

Harald Kapp

I recently notices that the forum software seems to add links automatically when it recognizes an item.
For example in (but not limited to) this thread the reference to LM3914 is linked to a page on AllAboutCircuits with an overview where one can buy this chip.
Personally I do not find this link very helpful. If it pointed to a datasheet that would be another thing.
I understand that the forum operators possibly earn some money if a user follows these links.
I'd rather prefer, however, if I as the author of a post were asked if I consent to this automatic link. Or if the link were marked as e.g. "link added automatically" or similar.
As it stands it looks like I had been placing this link and I may sometimes not want to have the link there.
It is also not possible to delete the link manually, it is automatically replaced upon saving the post.
@eerob , @eeadam : Could the forum software be modified along my ideas?

Does LM 3914 automatically add the links?

Looks like it doesn't.

LM3914 will probably get the link?

Owners monetizing the forum. Many of us recognize it is not the poster, just a site script doing it. It causes some visitors to disable all scripts or ambitious ones to isolate which one is the cause then disable that one.

It is a precarious balance, add too much !@#$ then it annoys people enough to nuke it all from orbit. Auto-links, yeah I don't want something added that I did not add... even if it's to a legit helpful source instead of some profit angle, but it is the latter, almost always. Almost.

The inserted links have been going for a while.
I don’t mind either if it indeed linked to the appropriate item/device but instead links to AAC with “no results”.

Martin

There is nothing wrong with some automation of references, and it is important that they roughly reflect the essence of the issue. It is also important that it does not turn into a reference on every word. And it would also be good to add links to some of the details to search for them from suppliers, some of the most common ones. The links lead to sourceme.com or eBay.com, depending on the ease of use.