Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Auto radio keeps restarting when theres no key on ignition

Hi there.
So my auto radio keeps restarting when theres no key on ignition. If i turn on the key it starts ok, but when not it just keeps restarting.
It was working alright.
The strange thing: switching the yellow and the red connectors makes it work great but i have always to turn the radio off and everytime i turn off the car i loosr all preferences saved.
They say its a radio issue inside. Anyone could help me?
Thanks in advance.

thanks for your help but the problem is not in the car.
Ive tried the radio on a different vehicle and directly on a car battery and it does the same thing.

Is the radio the cars original set or is it third party unit?.
The yellow wire is normally connected to constant 12v for memory presets and clock etc.
The red wire usually through the ignition or acc circuit.
Try with the car battery again (directly) and just connect the red + and - leaving yellow disconnected.
What happens?,
Now connect red and yellow together to the + battery terminal.
What happens?.

My point is ~ Both red and yellow are 12v positive. When you say "I swapped red and yellow", it shouldn't make any difference except when the ignition is switched off.
It now has constant 12v to the red wire and 0v to yellow memory.
Assuming you have correctly identified the correct circuits.
Martin

The radio is a Sony XAV-65. Third part unit.
Exactly, "When you say "I swapped red and yellow", it shouldn't make any difference except when the ignition is switched off." - when its swapped the radio starts and works..the only problem is that when i take out the key from ignition it doesnt goes automatically off so i need to turn it off by myself and i it will loose all the preferences saved.

thanks for your help but the problem is not in the car.
Ive tried the radio on a different vehicle and directly on a car battery and it does the same thing.
Direct on a car battery is not the same thing.

As Martaine already mentioned, you have one wire that should be constant live 12V for memory and clock function, and one wire switched off with the ignition of the vehicle.

It seems fairly clear that your vehicle is not switching the main power feed to the radio off, whether it is due to a stuck relay, or bad ignition switch, or some other reason, perhaps shorted out wiring if the installation was not good.

You should use a multimeter to find out where in the circuit to the radio, the power should be cut off but is still live, then the component between this correctly-off and incorrectly-on state is your problem.

It could be that it is getting power through an accessory delay relay and something is keeping that energized, you can measure for whether the coil in the relay is being powered or swap in a new/different relay of the same type.

Ultimately this could be a large pain the behind to troubleshoot unless you can get the relevant wiring diagrams for the radio, ignition, and accessory relay triggers, BUT if you can follow the wring visually, or noting the main insulation color and stripe color where it goes out of sight, you might get lucky and find the fault without the diagrams.

Last edited: