Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Arcade Conversion... Dollars to Nickles

I am going to try my hand at a home nickle arcade. It sounded easy. Get some cheap machines and swap out their old coin slots for new ones that can be programmed to take nickles. I planned to just swap wires. I should have known that nothing ls ever that easy.

My first machine plays great (free play) but has a broken dollar bill acceptor. I have learned that it is a 115vac device, and my new coin slots are all 12vdc. I am powering the coin acceptor with a computer power supply to get my 12vdc. I cannot figure out how to pulse the Normally Open (NO) relay that adds credits to the machine.

The bill acceptor uses pins 4, 6, 7, and 8 (diagram below) and the yellow portion of the image is the device I am trying to replace it with. (You can ignore the 24vac reference on pin 6 as that is for a different model and I neglected to remove it from my final image.)

I know it isn't much to go on as far as documentation goes... Is there something simple I can do to trigger the relay for credits using this 12vdc coin slot??

Thank you in advance for any direction or informational links to study.

Coin_Slot.png

Use a test meter to measure the voltage on pins 7&8 to determine that there is NONE WHATSOEVER on them under any circumstances. Alternatively use the meter on it's continuity range and check that pins 7&8 short together briefly as a coin is inserted.

If there is zero voltage on 7&8 then put +12V on pin 8 and take pin 7 to your counter/credit (clock?) input. Connect the counter ground to the ground of your 12V supply.

Finally, send all the unused dollars to me....... keep the nickles....