Maker Pro
Maker Pro

APC BP1400 Turning Off Almost Immediately

I have acquired a used APC BP1400 Battery Backup unit. when I power it up a relay clicks, the green LED indicated with a sine wave symbol flashes for about 15 seconds and then the unit powers off. There are no lights lit and no power out from the receptacles in the back. I have tried several times with the same exact result. Anyone have any experience with this issue? Thanks, Jim

Yes, the manual indicated that no lights meant the battery is charging however, I left it plugged in for 2 hours and there is still no voltage out of the receptacles. I attempted to power it on with the button on the front with the same results, the green LED flashed for 15 - 20 seconds and then relays clicked, all of the lights flashed and things went dead except that now there is a continuous high pitched squeal coming from the unit. Since I don't know how long it should take to recharge a totally dead battery I don't know if sufficient time has passed. At this moment, I unplugged the unit from the wall and it is still squealing away so there must be at least some power in the battery at this time. It seems to me that there must be some issue with the unit. JIm

Yes, the manual indicated that no lights meant the battery is charging however, I left it plugged in for 2 hours and there is still no voltage out of the receptacles. I attempted to power it on with the button on the front with the same results, the green LED flashed for 15 - 20 seconds and then relays clicked, all of the lights flashed and things went dead except that now there is a continuous high pitched squeal coming from the unit. Since I don't know how long it should take to recharge a totally dead battery I don't know if sufficient time has passed. At this moment, I unplugged the unit from the wall and it is still squealing away so there must be at least some power in the battery at this time. It seems to me that there must be some issue with the unit. JIm
The manual covers the behavior when the battery is dead, or needs replacing.
That unit should have some surge only outlets on the unit, as well as battery backed up outlets. Do you not get power on any of them?

Edit: and the manual states : 2 to 5 hours from total discharge