Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Anyone have experience with IR LEDs?

I'm wondering if theres a way to make them brighter (looking through a camera) or if I'm stuck with these dull purple lights.

I'm wondering if theres a way to make them brighter (looking through a camera) or if I'm stuck with these dull purple lights.

The problem is with the filtering in your camera. Older cameras and cell phones gave
a nice bright image......the newer cameras just show a dim purple image.

Try finding an older cellphone, they all have different sensors.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
It's probably more to do with adding IR filtering to achieve higher image quality.

Another option is to get IR LEDs that are only just below the visible red end of the spectrum. These often have a dull red glow if you look at them because of you eye's residual sensitivity. Not a good idea to stare into them though, they may be very bright!

Another option is to get IR LEDs that are only just below the visible red end of the spectrum.

The IREDs Steve refers to are typically around 880nm where many intended for remote controls and similar link devices are around 940nm.

davenn

then it really is determined by the characteristics of the IR filter on the camera

with some of the older cameras, the IR filter plate could be peeled off the CCD/CMOS sensor. on others it couldn't.

really your first step should be to get a security type camera that's already designed to receive IR light

cheers
Dave

then it really is determined by the characteristics of the IR filter on the camera

with some of the older cameras, the IR filter plate could be peeled off the CCD/CMOS sensor. on others it couldn't.

really your first step should be to get a security type camera that's already designed to receive IR light

cheers
Dave

Good to know. I'll experiment with a few that I have to see what works. Thanks!

Hey everyone, I used a different camera and wow! I had a total of 48 of these IR LEDs lit and it lit up a room pretty good! Thanks for the info.