Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Analog wifi repeater - possible?

I want to get access to the wifi-signals outside my house from within the house.

The obvious solutions is an internal wifi-card with a detachable antenna, or a wifi repeater unit, and then using an extension cable and an outdoor antenna.
But these are all digital solutions.

What I want is some kind of analog repeater that forwards the signals of the entire wifi frequency-range both ways, so the whole thing would be completely transparent to the indoor user.

Is there any amplifiers around that could do this?

outdoors.jpg

Harald Kapp

Is there any amplifiers around that could do this?
Simple anser: none that I know.

WiFi uses half duplex comunication over the same frequency spectrum on both ends. Your "repeater" would have to detect which side is transmitting and change the direction of signal flow accordingly.

Use a true WiFi repeater, which will not only restore signal amplitude but also perform digital error correction (as much as is possible) which will give you greater range and realiability.

While waiting for the delivery of your new repeater, have another Pilsener or two :D

If you know the WiFi frequency, why not use a passive solution?
A Yagi Antenna outside connected to a Monopole inside.

We have used this solution in quite a few places for Indoor Coverage of 900 / 1800 / 2100 MHz mobile signals.