Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Akai plasma 60" picture looks like a lava lamp sound still good

My tv worked fine right up until today the picture faded out and now looks all blotchy and no picture or menus but the sound is still working fine and so is the power. Does not shut off

Sounds like a problem with the Z sustain board.
But the fact that you still have sound, it's more likely the Y sustain board.

As for not powering off...Unplug it from the mains and try a reboot.
Does it respond to the remote?

Both the boards should have fuses, so you could check those first.
Be careful though, don't touch anything else as there are high voltages inside.
Martin.

It will power on and off, and the sound is good it's actually just the picture.
Should we start by replacing the fuses if they look bad? Where do you get new fuses?

Thanks for your suggestion hopefully it works

Laurie

Hi Laurie, the fuses are probably white in colour and therefore a visual check wont tell you much.
The fuse can be bought at any electronic / electrical whole saler.
You need to check the fuse on the board and if blown replace it with the same values!! NOT a hair clip or kitchen foil !!!!
You will only need a very basic continuity tester for the fuse but a multimeter is a far more useful tool.

As I said earlier, DO NOT go poking around inside. There are high voltages.

If the fuse blows immediately, there is obviously an underlying issue beyond your skills.
Better to buy a replacement board.
Martin

We took the back off and there was one burnt fuse. We replaced it and have now put the back cover back on. But the power shuts off almost immediately after turning on. There is a ground strap that has a loop on one end and a flat metal at the other end it was attached to the back paneling but not sure what the other end is suppose to connect to. We have not put this back on, could this be causing the power to shut off? Do you know what it would or should be connected to?.

Thanks for any suggestions
Laurie

could this be causing the power to shut off?
I very much doubt it. I think your rear panel is plastic.

Can you give us the model number of the TV?
Which board had the blown fuse?
Can you upload a clear and close picture of the board?

Have you got a multimeter?
Martin