Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Aftermarket Radio LCD Swap ?

Hey how is everyone doing ? I am new to the forum and I really need help with an idea that I have. Hopefully someone can provide some insight for me. I am interested in installing an aftermarket radio in my car. I looked on EBay and I found one that would be really cool. It's 8.8" and wide screen that is made to fit the dimensions on the opening for my car. http://m.ebay.com/itm/272154130608

The problem with this and other Chinese made products is that the processing units are very primitive and cheaply made. The features are made to mimic the features need but they don't add up to the larger name companies interfaces. I was wondering if I purchased this unit.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/271997282207

Is it possible to intechange the LCD's between the two products ? Using the LCD I like with the processor that I like ?? If so can you suggest someone who can do this ? If it can't be done can someone suggest something to make the radio processing system more like a dedicated radio as opposed to a sub par mini computer in place of a radio ?

It really depends. Some of those fandangled devices control things like cruise control and air con. If you put in the wrong device it can make an object not perform well or worse you will be stuck doing 200kmh in a 40 zone during school time with a heater blowing steam at you on a 40degree day.
Someone here might be able to help you out. But a car guy might be the right person

I wouldn't mess with it.
You mean to tell me with everything on the market you can't find something already made that you like?
Darned right on the Chinese stuff. You'll have a radio you like and no display shortly if you buy what you're looking at. They don't last.

Thank you for your responses donkey and shrtrnd.... Donkey, if you know a car guy on this forum could you please direct them to this to give some input. I was also contemplating on using the exiting bones of the 8.8" unit and installing the internals of the pioneer unit. It was a lofty idea seeing as I have no skills or know how to do so. The good thing about this is that I am not looking for it to have control over any other functions for the car i.e. Air conditioning, speed controls or anything to the overall drivability or operation of the car. So I doubt that something can be done to cause that to happen. And shrtrnd believe it or not I have been looking and posting on this forum as a last ditch effort to find anyone with the ability or the knowledge to get this done. It's is amazing that no big named company haven't come up with a radio like this. I think the uniqueness of this combined setup is intrigueing as well.

Also I was hoping that the ribbon used in the screen of the OEM Pioneer unit could be retrofitted into the 8.8" LCD. But keep up the replies hopefully we can figure out something. Thanks so much guys.

If all LCD screens operated the same way, you would be fine. Except that, if the resolutions were different you would either see not all of the display or it would be in one corner with the rest left blank.

Bob

Pretty much all the features of the pioneer... Navigation, integrated Bluetooth hands free cellphone, Sirius XM radio, MP3 playback, iPod/iPhone integration.