Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ademco SE 10 alarm Zone 01 type malfunction

I am trying to fix my zone 01 type. If I set my doors to zone type 03 they all alarm fine immediately when opened. When I set the doors to zone type 01 they do nothing when opened no delay beeping no alarm. Any idea why my zone type 01 does not trigger any alarm?

Have you got the manual?
Is zone 01 possibly silent mode and connected to a dialer?.
When you program the unit, you have to press buttons sequentially within 2 seconds.
What does the unit display while on zone 01?
What does the unit display while on zone 03?.
Has the unit previously been programmed in another house?.
Has zone 01 previously worked in your home??.
Too many questions to ask and too little information provided. The user manual is readily available online.

Martin

I'm going to assume you have the Ademco Vista-10SE control panel. Giving full nomenclature of the model number can be important, Ademco (now owned by Honeywell) made several different but similar models, but I think only one that might be called a "SE 10." If your alarm Control Panel is not an Ademco Vista-10SE, this would be the time to mention it.

If your doors are triggering an alarm when they're programmed for Zone Type (ZT) 03, then they should also be triggering the system as ZT 01. How, specifically, are you testing them?

For example (and first guess): If you are arming the system in "Instant Mode" ((CODE + Instant (7) key)) and then immediately walking over and opening an entry/exit door door (programmed as Zone Type 01) to trip an immediate alarm, then you're going to be disappointed. Arming the system in ANY mode (Stay/Away/Instant) starts the Exit Delay Timer and Entry/Exit (ZT 01) doors are ignored for the Exit Delay period.

Be aware that the "Instant Mode" of arming bypasses the ENTRY Delay for E/E doors, but not the Exit Delay. You cannot bypass the Exit Delay in this model (or any professional-grade model for the last 20+ years. That protocol stopped a lot of customer-error false alarms).

Since you're programming Zone Types, I assume you have the Installation/Programming manual, but just in case, here's a link:
http://www.alarmhow.net/manuals/Ademco/Control Panels/Vista-10SE/Vista-10SE v5 Installation Manual.pdf
If you'll check Data Field *38 in your Panel Programming, you'll see that your Exit Delay time is your Entry Delay time plus 15 seconds. so if you have your Entry Delay set for 30 sec,, then your Exit Delay is 45 seconds. If the Entry Delay is set for 90 seconds, the the Exit delay is set for 105 seconds, and that's how long you'd have wait after arming, in any mode, to test an E/E door.

Now I'm guessing here, because I don't know how you're testing your ZT 01 (E/E) doors. If I've guessed wrong, let me know and tell me exactly what you're doing, step-by-step.
Other things to look for: Is the Panel (the Vista-10SE) "seeing" the doors open when the system isn't armed? I.e., when you open a door, a zone number (not zone type) should show on the keypad display, the green READY light is off, and the kP should "beep" if you have it set in "Chime" Mode (CODE + 9).

EDIT: I assumed in my response that you're in North America, since Ademco isn't/wasn't as popular overseas. System protocols can be different in different parts of the world. If you are NOT in North America (USA and Canada), this would be the time to mention it.)

Last edited:
Omg I feel a bit stupid for not realizing about the exit time wait. Thanks for your help - I waited and it worked :) Silly me!

Thanks for reading your user manual. It appears you programmed it incorrectly.
RTFM is always the first protocol.

Martin
No, there's no reason to suspect it was programmed incorrectly. The system was behaving exactly as it was designed. OP just forgot to wait out the exit delay. A lot of Users do that, it's one of the most common novice errors.

BTW, Martin : A couple of points regarding your first response:

Have you got the manual?

Is zone 01 possibly silent mode and connected to a dialer?.

Martin

(1)There’s no reason to think we’re dealing with Zone 01 here. We’re dealing with unknown zone(s) programmed as Zone Type 01 and Zone Type 03. Don’t confuse zone numbers with Zone Types.

What does the unit display while on zone 01?

What does the unit display while on zone 03?.

Martin

(2) See (1). We don’t know which zone(s) Tdn’s Entry/Exit doors are on. The Vista-10SE, IIRC, has 6 on-board hard-wired zones and supports expansion for another 16 wireless (RF) zones, for a total of 22 possible zones. Any or all of these, right up to Zone 22, can be programmed as Zone Type 01.

Martin[/QUOTE]

Has the unit previously been programmed in another house?.

Martin

I was curious about that too, but my response was lengthy enough that I didn’t want to make it longer unless my guess was wrong and I might need more info to understand what was going on. The Vista-10SE is at least 12-15 years old, so my first guess was that Tdn bought it off eBay and is installing it; but it might be that s/he’s just changing a door in existing system from Instant (Zone Type 03) to Entry/Exit (ZT 01).

But whatever, Tdn apparently knew enough programming to make the change, so I went for the simplest explanation for the symptoms, such as I understood them.

Has zone 01 previously worked in your home??.

Martin

See (1)

Too many questions to ask and too little information provided. The user manual is readily available online.

Martin

I agree that more info, and more specific info (like how Tdn did the testing) would have been helpful. But given that Tdn was already into Panel Programming, I provided a link to the Installation Manual (which includes Programming Instructions)

It should be noted that the Installation/Programming Manual for any professional-grade alarm Control Panel/System is not made for the DIY-er. It’s made for professionals and assumes a modicum of familiarity with alarm systems. IMHO, Ademco/Honeywell is, by far, the brand most DIY-friendly, but it can still be intimidating to the novice.

That little oversight forgetting about the Exit Delay is an honest mistake, and Tdn, you’re to be commended for jumping in and programming your Vista-10SE Panel. Let me know if you have any more problems.

Last edited:
While programming these units, exit delay is essential. The pad doesn’t close until ‘exit delay’ is set in seconds or minutes.
This is clearly not a fault and a user not setting it correctly. Which is why I mentioned reading the manual.

Martin

I did my programming of the zone types correctly - and it took me plenty of hours to figure out how that works because the programming certainly is not user friendly, pressing * and trying to keep track of where you are in the program process and reading the manual over and over. But yes I made a novice error - not understanding that there is a time delay in effect when you arm the system. For a Math teacher who did not know anything about this to start with I think I did pretty well. My system is now operational again and all I had to buy was a little door sensor and re-program and get a little help here. Thanks for your expert help ChosunOne.

I did my programming of the zone types correctly - and it took me plenty of hours to figure out how that works because the programming certainly is not user friendly, pressing * and trying to keep track of where you are in the program process and reading the manual over and over. But yes I made a novice error - not understanding that there is a time delay in effect when you arm the system. For a Math teacher who did not know anything about this to start with I think I did pretty well. My system is now operational again and all I had to buy was a little door sensor and re-program and get a little help here. Thanks for your expert help ChosunOne.

You're welcome, Tdn. Thanks for posting back and letting us know the outcome. Feedback always helps.