Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Adding an external 240v garden light

Hi all.
I have a conservatory here. It has a single light in the ceiling with a single switch on the wall.

Ive bought a small outside light. I'd like to change the single conservatory light switch to a double switch socket.

One for the conservatory light the other for the outside light.

Can anyone tell me if I can do that?

Last edited:
IF you feel competent it is a simple change you will have a live conductor at the switch, which you can pick up for the second sw, but you will need a switch wire out to the outside light, and pick up a neutral for it.
Have you done anything like this before?
M.

IF you feel competent it is a simple change you will have a live conductor at the switch, which you can pick up for the second sw, but you will need a switch wire out to the outside light, and pick up a neutral for it.
Have you done anything like this before?
M.

Yes, lots of times but I always ask for help first. Quite happy and capable as long as I follow instructions from people. Its easy to turn off the mains and post up pics of what I have and what I want to do. :)

Perhaps if I post a pic of sockets I have it will be helpful for reference?

Ps thanks :)

I have a UK electricians license that I acquired in a previous life, I know some things have changed, but the basics, remain pretty much the same!.
M.

:confused: Your second pic apparently shows a 2-gang switch, not a twin socket. Two-wire lighting wiring cannot be legally/safely used for supplying a twin power socket.

Am I confusing you?

What I mean is, there is a single switch on the wall as pictured.

I have an old twin wall switch here. (2gang) as pictured,, (the back if it anyway)

(I will buy a new one shortly)

I wondered if I can replace the single switch to the twin switch. Thereby having an independent switch for the existing internal light and also a second switch for the nearby external light.

You will have a live at the switch so now you need a new switch wire to go to the outside light together with a neutral.
One way is to run a extra conductor (sw wire) up to the present light and a pair from there to the outside light.
M.