Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Add antenna to WESTEK RFA-110

hi
i know this post is quite old but i have a Westek RFA-110 i need to add an antenna the receiver, it
will be mounted in a metal enclosure, i want to make sure the receiver has no problems receiving signals
from the remote control which I've already added an antenna to. I'm going to use an old wireless router antenna. i just wanted to ask if you could tell me what component or circuit path i should solder the antenna's coax to. on the lower right of the receiver pcb there is a choke or coil with a transistor so I'm assuming that area is the R.F. please reply thanks a lot

20210321_193826(1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you open the unit up, you will see where the existing antenna connections are.
I presume you mean the added antenna will be mounted externally on the metal box?.

I am not familiar with this set, do you know what frequency it uses?. If its 2.4GHz, you should be ok with an old 2.4GHz router antenna.

Why are you putting it in a metal box?.

Martin

If you open the unit up, you will see where the existing antenna connections are.
I presume you mean the added antenna will be mounted externally on the metal box?.

I am not familiar with this set, do you know what frequency it uses?. If its 2.4GHz, you should be ok with an old 2.4GHz router antenna.

Why are you putting it in a metal box?.

Martin

here are two pics of the Westek RFA-110 receiver pcb the receiver is on the left in both pics, with the black ac output, i have found the antenna connections in the transmitter,
but i cant find them in the receiver. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• westek2.jpg
    westek2.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 3
  • westek3.jpg
    westek3.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
I can't be sure but may be the top left (red) tuned coil is the antenna.
These units are probably 433MHz or similar.

Be careful tinkering if plugged in, that's a capacitive dropper power supply.
I'll wait and leave this to somebody knowledgeable with RF circuits.

Martin