Maker Pro
Maker Pro

AC Solenoid valve driver circuit

hi,

i am working on one of the project of automation system,

I want to turn ON-OFF Ac solenoid valve using Controller,

I already Written code but to drive this AC valve i have to some driver circuit between both of them

The specification of that AC solenoid valve is 24AV,inrush current 90mA & holding current is 70mA.

So cant directly control this valve,.

I know about TRIAC which current control device but not confirm about it.

Please guide me for this

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
There are many ways to control an AC-powered solenoid. The simplest is a relay, which is an electrically controlled switch. You can get these in a range of types, with coil (control side) voltages of 3.3VDC, 5VDC and higher.

Even a fairly small relay can switch 24VAC at 90 mA. That is no problem. You can even use a reed relay, which is small and designed to switch quickly and cleanly.

Relays are not suitable if you need to be able to switch very quickly or repeatedly, because they have moving parts and contacts that can wear out.

You can get solid state relays as well, but these are more suited to higher voltages. There is a voltage drop across the switching element.

You can also make an isolated switching circuit using MOSFETs and optocouplers.

Can you point us to a data sheet on your solenoid?

What power source do you want to use for the solenoid? Is it a 24VAC mains transformer?

What do you want to control it from? Do you have a logic-level signal that you want to use to turn it on and off?