Maker Pro
Maker Pro

AC Power wiring to Light Bulb

I am trying to understand how a power is connected to a light bulb. There are 2 wires coming out of the energy meter output, line and neutral. I don't understand how they are connected to the bulb.

how to know which end of the light will connect to line or neutral ?

It doesn’t matter which connection is used.
But keeping with the ‘norm’, the outer screw section would be neutral and the single bottom connection would be live.
As AC is alternating current, both terminals/connections will change/alternate. So, it really doesn’t matter.

EDIT: I would like to add that mains voltage can be extremely dangerous in the wrong hands and as you had to ask, I would advise you to get a professional in to help.

Martin

the outer screw section would be neutral and the single bottom connection would be live

It's a bayonet cap connection in the link ....... so two connections are at the bottom.
Nothing connects to the metal case.

cannot buy them anymore in Aus, all LED. (unless specials)

bayonet.jpg

I didn’t look at the link because an AC bulb is/was either BC or ES. Excluding GU10s and the like.
As far as which terminal is live, it absolutely does not matter.
Now, from a house wiring perspective it would be wired with the centre bulb pin live and outer shroud neutral for ES bulbs. But BC bulbs have two connection pins on the base. The bulb holder or pendant usually comes wired and buying two can often have the wires reversed. It’s just colour coding for pendant switch line and a neutral.

Martin

Last edited: