Maker Pro
Maker Pro

50 euro computer possible or not?

Hi guys,

I did some volunteering work last summer in the north of Peru. While being there i noticed that nobody speaks english. And often warning labels on the products for example are in english. It's without telling that it would be usefull for them to learn english (also job opportunities etc).

To communicate with them i learned spanish by using a program called duolingo. It's an online tool for learning languages. In the peruvian schools they try to teach english, but the problem is that the teachers themselves do not speak english. Therefor i thought: Wouldn't it be cool to make a small computer class where they can practice by using this program? The problem is ofcourse: buying 25 computers is expensive. But the computer shouldn't be able to do as much as an everyday computer as well. It should just be able to run a browser, receive data (by keyboard would be best) and show everything on a little screen.

I recently read about raspberry pi zero. This is quite a powerfull device for 5$. So that is not the big cost. However when i searched online for a small screen and a keyboard i couldn't find anything cheap. Do you guys have any ideas or do you think that at the moment this is too far from reality?

Thanks

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply, but I think that such a smartphone wouldn't be as practical as a small computer. A keyboard and a mouse would be very practical. If i was able to use the PI-zero, then they could also learn to program with skratch, use excell, word etc. Are there no cheap monitors or LCD screens somewhere on the market?

Are there no cheap monitors or LCD screens somewhere on the market?
A small LCD screen with an HDMI driver board (which is what you need for a Raspberry Pi) costs roughly around $100 (or more, depending on size). A small keyboard/mouse combination will probably cost around $25.

Keep in mind that the Raspberry Pi Zero is severely limited and is really intended for embedded applications involving the GPIO pins and not much more. To use it as a general-purpose computer you will have to add a WiFi adapter, a USB OTG adapter, and a powered USB hub. A Raspberry Pi 2 would be more suitable.

guess it's not really possible except if we start buying tablets for everyone.

Tablets are not a bad idea only that break very easily

One thing you may want to try is this :

Search for auctions or companies, offices, that shut down or want to get new and want to get rid of their older gear and just ask them.

Maybe if you get lucky you will get some computers even for free.

Such things happen alot in Greece lately and besides that you may be able to get desks for very low price also.

Tablets are not a bad idea only that break very easily

One thing you may want to try is this :

Search for auctions or companies, offices, that shut down or want to get new and want to get rid of their older gear and just ask them.

Maybe if you get lucky you will get some computers even for free.

Such things happen alot in Greece lately and besides that you may be able to get desks for very low price also.

Thanks for the idea, i will mail some companies in the neighboorhood. If we could manage to get some 20 computers than i guess we could make our own computer class