Maker Pro
Maker Pro

4 quadrant speed control of brushed DC motor

ı am working on brushed DC motor control. I will use H circuit and PWM, but I have no experience about PWM. I resarch PWM and I learned that controling with microcontroller and some electronic circuits. Which one is more usefull for my project ? is there any circuit for it ?

With a pic or other microcontroller with PWM you can control the speed of a dc motor.

For example the l293d h bridge has two enable pins. Connect the PWM to the enable pin for the side the motors connected to and use the rest of the l293d the normal way.

thanks, ı searched l293d and I learned something about l293d ,unfortunately, I didn't find it here. I started with comparator circuit of op amp for PWM but, there is a issue on my mind, if I apply +15V to gate of FET. can I drive it at 10kHz ?

Last edited:
All you need to make a PWM controller is a 555 and and few resistors and capacitors. Google "555 PWM circuit"

Bob

I must obtain 10-15kHz triangular wave for brushed dc motor, and ı am not doing it with 555. I obtained 15kHz with op amp but there is a DC ofset although the output capacitor. Also I need 2 PWM because my project is 4 quadrant.

on the other hand, Do I have to use mosfet driver IC to drive H brigde's FET's ?

Last edited:
ı am doing 4 quadrant brushed dc motor control. forwad rotation, forwad braking, reverse rotation, reverse braking. I made 2 random reference voltage for forward and reverse.you can set this voltages with trimmer, when forwad reference is bigger than reverse reference, motor rotate forwad, vice versa, if they are same, motor doesn't rotate(braking). (reference voltages change -1V to 1V)

I am working to do 10-15kHz triangular wave(amplitude 1 V). I will use this wave for obtain PWM, comprating triangular wave and reference voltages with LT1028, I will create 2 PWM with a wave, and motor will rotate acording to dominant PWM. these PWMs will apply to H bridge with FET driver(TC1028)

I know that , 12V BDC motor works at 10-15khz. İs that right?

And, is creating triangular wave with op amp reliable ? TL1028 or LM358, Which one is more usefull for generator circuit ?

Last edited: