Maker Pro
Maker Pro

3 prong to car battery?

So I purchased some led light strips to run off of my scooter, the problem is there is no 3 prong wall outlet to draw power from. So I cut off the male end of the 10a 250v power cord provided, stripped it to the 3 central wires and they are NOT green, black, and white. The colors are yellow, brown, and blue. My question is: which of these are pos, neg, and ground? And how do I wire them to draw power from my moped battery? Any help or cheap alternatives would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

davenn

Hi Zuma
welcome to the forums :)

well if its designed to run off mains AC voltage, its going to take some modifications to run off a 6V or 12V DC scooter battery.

see the problem ?

we need much more info on the LED unit, part number provide a link to a sales or datasheet, some sharp well lit pics of the LED unit would also be VERY helpful

cheers
Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
The colors are yellow, brown, and blue

Is the yellow one yellow and green?

This is a standard set of colours for mains wiring. I think it is better for colour-blind people because apparently having a colour-blind electrician mix up the wires is a bad thing.

But as stated, mains isn't what you have on your scooter.

Hi Zuma
welcome to the forums :)

well if its designed to run off mains AC voltage, its going to take some modifications to run off a 6V or 12V DC scooter battery.

see the problem ?

we need much more info on the LED unit, part number provide a link to a sales or datasheet, some sharp well lit pics of the LED unit would also be VERY helpful

cheers
Dave

davenn, this is the link to the whole set-up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16803193012

I have cut the prong from the outermost cord, before it goes through the AC to DC adapter.

so if my scooter puts out DC power, should I just run a cable from the battery to "brain" of the system?

I've attached a couple pictures of the main problem areas, the type of cord, as well as some of the materials I have to work with (but those are just some).

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 137
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 133
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 10

davenn

I watched a video on youtube and it said that yellow is ground, blue is neutral, and brown is live. What does this translate to, if anything?

that's still mains cabling colour code

let me look at your pix

Dave

Last edited:

davenn

OK you have cut the wrong cable

does that black power adaptor state it's output voltage and current ?
we must know that to help you further :)
do you have a multimeter ? ---- you are probably going to need one for testing

its the smaller cable coming out of it that goes to the white adaptor box that you needed to cut into. NOT the mains cable

Dave

OK 12V 5A cool

is your scooter a 6V or 12V battery system ? .... many motorbikes are 6V

that's good!:D it's a 12v, so where on this photo.jpg set up would i need to cut or tap into and how would i draw attach terminals to draw current?

davenn

OK you could cut that coiled up cable in half ( that leaves a good length coming out of the power pack for another use one day.

you need to identify the polarity of that cable

again ... do you have a multimeter ?

Dave

OK you could cut that coiled up cable in half ( that leaves a good length coming out of the power pack for another use one day.

you need to identify the polarity of that cable

again ... do you have a multimeter ?

Dave

Alright, done. and yes! set to dc, where am I checking current from? and what rods do i touch where?

davenn

OK initially test the output of that black powerpack ... determine if the centre of the plug is positive or negative
If you have already cut that cable in half forget the above

strip the end off the cable going back to the power pack and it should probably be a screened lead ... a braided wire over, probably, a white insulated inner wire
determine if the screen wire or the inner insulated wire is the positive when power is applied to the power pack.
.... ohhh do you have another mains power lead to plug between the wall outlet and the powerpack ? you are going to need it

Dave

with black on the inside and red on the outside it is negative, and with red on the inside and black on the outside it is positive. so is it negative?

i have not cut it yet and I do have another mains power

strip the end off the cable going back to the power pack and it should probably be a screened lead ... a braided wire over, probably, a white insulated inner wire. determine if the screen wire or the inner insulated wire is the positive when power is applied to the power pack.Dave

Ok so I have stripped the wire, then the two wires below that.

I'm assuming red is pos and white is neg?

Either way, I've connected terminals to them and just need to know is it safe to run it like this?:confused:

davenn

OK
centre positive is the normal
now you can cut that DC cable in half, sort out how you are going to connect the stripped end into the scooter electrics. the other end of that black cable with the connector on it ... obviously still goes to that white power adaptor

edit ...
you were typing whilst I was

Ok so I have stripped the wire, then the two wires below that.

fair assumption but you could check by stripping the end going to the power pack and confirming

Dave

Last edited:
OK
centre positive is the normal
now you can cut that DC cable in half, sort out how you are going to connect the stripped end into the scooter electrics. the other end of that black cable with the connector on it ... obviously still goes to that white power adaptor

edit ...
you were typing whilst I was
QUOTE]Ok so I have stripped the wire, then the two wires below that.

fair assumption but you could check by stripping the end going to the power pack and confirming

Dave[/QUOTE]

IT WORKS!! Thank you so much for all the help davenn, honestly better than any customer service I've ever gotten online! will hopefully post pictures soon once the rest of the strip splitters and connectors get here:D