Maker Pro
Maker Pro

24volt 3000watt inverter

Hi there I am looking for some information for my truck inverter it is 1500watt and peaks at 3000watts
It comes with crocodile clips, hard wired and also a cigarette lighter plug my cigarette lighter socket in the truck is only 10amp would the inverter work? I am only going to be running a 24 inch tv or a 2 slice toaster or a small kettle not at the same time
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180728-113643_Android System.jpg
    Screenshot_20180728-113643_Android System.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 25
10A on 24v is 2400W ......BUT.....there will be voltage drop between the battery and your lighter socket and any friction connection which is more of a concern.

It will be more than you think.

Best to keep your inverter as close as possible to the battery, perhaps using the croc clips but bolt on with an inline fuse ( bakolite housing) if not fitted to the unit already would be a better install.

Oh, and if using near the battery be sure unit is off when connecting/disconnecting as a spark near a charging/discharging battery is bad news. Hydrogen gas explodes and does not do the battery much good , not good for you either I might add.:eek::eek:

10A on 24v is 2400W ......BUT.....there will be voltage drop between the battery and your lighter socket and any friction connection which is more of a concern.

It will be more than you think.

Best to keep your inverter as close as possible to the battery, perhaps using the croc clips but bolt on with an inline fuse ( bakolite housing) if not fitted to the unit already would be a better install.

Oh, and if using near the battery be sure unit is off when connecting/disconnecting as a spark near a charging/discharging battery is bad news. Hydrogen gas explodes and does not do the battery much good , not good for you either I might add.:eek::eek:
Thank you for your reply I have since found out that I also have a 24volt Hella plug that is rated at 15 amps would this work until our fitter can hard wire it? If not I will just leave my things at home this week.

10A at 24V is only 240W.

You could run a TV from it (around 50-150W) but NOT a toaster or kettle (1kW and over).

For the higher power devices you MUST use a hardwired connection to the inverter and the connections MUST be very secure and properly fused.

Many thanks for that Kelly's eye the fitter at work is going to hardwire in on Monday but I am working tomorrow so just wanted to know if I could use it for anything the tv will have to do for now I will use my old gas stove for my kettle cheers

Thank you for your reply I have since found out that I also have a 24volt Hella plug that is rated at 15 amps would this work until our fitter can hard wire it? If not I will just leave my things at home this
Like I said, it's the voltage drop that would be of concern, not the rating of the socket.
Thanks blue jets for your help as you have probably guessed I don't know the first thing about this that's why I was not prepared to use it until I got some
many thanks

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
1500 watts (continuous) at 24 volts requires 62.5 amperes. This jumps up to 125 amperes if 3000 watts (intermittent) is required, say for starting a motor or initial surge current in a toaster. And this is the current required if the inverter is 100% efficient, which of course it isn't.

I don't see how the banana jacks shown in your attached photo are in any way capable of carrying this much current. Perhaps if you had chosen the 72 volt input version of this solar panel inverter the banana jacks would be capable of carrying the required current of 21 amperes for 1500 watts or 42 amperes for 3000 watt surges. That's still a bit iffy IMHO for standard banana jacks, but your mileage (or kilometers) may differ. And of course it would be a bit difficult to find or fit a 72 volt battery, or six 12 volt batteries, to a truck without a lot of modifications to its electrical system, so that's probably not really an option...:(

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply hevans1944 but as you can guess I don't know the slightest thing about inverters just bought it for my truck so that I could save money buying gas as it works out too expensive. Please don't think I am totally stupid but I don't think it's a solar panel inverter unless that's what you call it and sorry if that's what it is called

Using gas for kettles and toasters would be my preferred solution - using a smaller (and better quality) inverter for just the electronics i.e. TV, laptop, phone charger etc.

Kettles/toasters are 'current hogs' and would cause a LOT of problems if things went wrong. Since they are generally only used for 'minutes at a time' the use of an inverter at these power levels is overkill (imho).

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
... I don't think it's a solar panel inverter unless that's what you call it and sorry if that's what it is called
Well, technically, it is a DC/AC POWER INVERTER. From labels on the device whose picture you posted, it was designed for use with photo-voltaic solar panels. However, another label identifies it as "CAR SMART POWER INVERTER USB 5V 6.8A (MAX)". Output is also specified to be 220/230V AC 50Hz, but no current specs for that output voltage range. Use it however you wish, but I suspect it won't work well to heat a 2-slice toaster or a kettle.