Maker Pro
Maker Pro

220volt (EU socket) drill on 12 volt

Hi, I just got an old electric drill in a shop because I wanted to use the electric motor it has in a project I'm working on. It's one of those that plugs directly into the socket (220v EU). And you can see sparks if you look into the side of it (sorry, not the greatest with electric motors. But hope that makes it clear what kind I mean)

What I'm looking to do is to run the motor of a battery instead of the socket. Is there a way to make this work? Preferably with hobby RC car batteries if possible, since they are nice and small, but still have a fairly high voltage. Standard replaceable batteries would also be fine.

I'm not sure if this is possible, but if it is. I dont need the speed or the strength of the motor. So it's no problem if it runs at a much reduced speed and strength.

Harald Kapp

you can see sparks if you look into the side of it
Obviously a brushed motor.
Most probably the motor is a DC motor (typical for power drills), the AC mins being rectified o operate the motor. Some kind of power control for speed variation may also be included. Whether it runs on battery power is a matter of the specific motor used. If it is a high voltaeg motor, it will not run well (if at all) on batteries. But the motor may also be a low voltage motor with a step down converter of a kind built into the drill to operate the motor from mains.
You'll have to open the drill and have a lok at the motor. If you're lucky you find a rating label that tells you more aboutthe motor. If not, you can try the motor on your battery, but do not be dissapointed if it doesn't work.

Obviously a brushed motor.
Most probably the motor is a DC motor (typical for power drills), the AC mins being rectified o operate the motor. Some kind of power control for speed variation may also be included. Whether it runs on battery power is a matter of the specific motor used. If it is a high voltaeg motor, it will not run well (if at all) on batteries. But the motor may also be a low voltage motor with a step down converter of a kind built into the drill to operate the motor from mains.
You'll have to open the drill and have a lok at the motor. If you're lucky you find a rating label that tells you more aboutthe motor. If not, you can try the motor on your battery, but do not be dissapointed if it doesn't work.

Thanks, i did open it up but at first glance, didnt spot any markings. Will open it again and see if I can find them. It's a fairly large motor with a ton of copper wire visable. No speed control, just full speed or nothing. I dont recall seeing any step down unit either, unless its integrated in the trigger. So I think it is a high voltage motor. If that is the case, would it be possible to put multiple batteries in series so the outputted voltage is high enough?

If it is a 220v motor and has brushes it is a Universal (series field) motor.
They do run on AC & DC but you would need 220v regardless.
M.

I have an electric drill and a battery charger.
Drill
B&D H364V-H15 240V 1.6A 370W
Battery charger
ABSAAR 12V fast setting. 240V in No smoothing.
Meter analog
10.5V 0.4A
Only runs at a low speed, about 1/sec. Stops with very little torque. There is a slight vibration.
To get useful output you need a higher voltage. Universal motors which are run on DC with no friction will theroretically run up to an infinite speed but simple drills have a well dfined top speed, presumably due to inductance limiting the current on AC.